The Unwanted House Guest

Dinner was possibly the most infuriating experience I have ever had the misfortune to go through. Mark acted like a complete gentleman. Notice how I used the word ''acted''. At least to my parents he did, but while he was going through his rough upbringing, having to deal with 9 siblings, and a single mother, his hand mysteriously kept resting on my thighs, it’s a 10 seated table, there was enough space for his hands elsewhere though he clearly didn't understand this. I think he got the message when I ''accidentally'' kicked his legs. That usually does the trick.

“Did you enjoy dinner Mark?’’ my mother ask fondly patting him on the back as we started to clean up.

‘’Very much so, you’re a great cook Mrs Holston’’ he said in that annoying, ass – licking tone of his.

‘’Cali how about you leave the dishes to your mother and me and go give Mark a tour around the house?’’ my dad proposed nonchalantly while popping the last piece of chicken in his mouth.

‘’He’s Jake’s friend dad’’ Ryan argued immediately.

‘’Yea, where is Jake?’’ I asked just realising that he’d been absent for the whole meal.

‘’He took a nap, he’s pretty tired sweetie’’ my mother replied absentmindedly while arranging some food on a plate.

‘’Seriously Mom, you’re bringing him dinner?’’ Ryan questioned with a look that could only be read as repulsion.

‘’Yes, now scram you guys’’ she replied shooing us out the kitchen.

Ryan looked positively furious.

‘’Ry-‘’ I said but he cut me off, ran to his room and slammed the door shut.

‘’So’’ Mark said grinning, ‘’how about that tour?’’.

***

I never really mentioned that I live in a pretty big house. Ok it’s massive. Seriously massive. Then again real estate isn’t all that expensive in Boston, though judging by the expression on Mark’s face, this might as well be Buckingham palace. From what I’ve gathered he seems to have grown up on the wrong side of the tracks. I can’t really see what he and Jake would’ve had to talk about other than the whole cocaine thing, then I again; the way people perceive people in prison is most likely quite different to the way they perceive them in the outside world.

‘’And that’s the end of the grand Holston tour, do be sure to come again and don’t forget to past the gift shop on the way out’’ I said sarcastically as we reached Marks room.

‘’You’re just a bundle of joy aren’t you’’ he said cockily as he put both his hands on each side of the wall, trapping me with his ridiculous biceps.

‘’Oh I am, except when I get practically molested by an ex-con at the dinner table’’ I said in a snarky tone as he moved closer towards my face.