|5| New School

Victoria's P.O.V:

I cringe at the thought of attending a new school as Sally drives me there. My final year of school in a new city is just an upsetting thing to think about. What if I am like the outcast I used to be back in my school? I stare at the high stone walls as Sally drives through the enormous gates of the school. My last school was much different. For one thing, it didn't look so old and sophisticated. It looked like a normal school. The main building of this school is huge and I stifle a gasp as I gape at it.

"Hey? Have a great day." Sally gives me a warm smile, handing me my backpack from the back seat. Momentarily distracted, I grab my bag and peel my eyes away from the school building.

"I'll try," I grin as I wave at her and get out of the car, a swarm of students passing by while some stop and stare at me as if I had just dropped from an alien ship in front of the school.

Taking a deep breath, I decide to go ahead to the gruelling experience that this is bound to be. I thrust my chin out and swagger off inside, not willing to show exactly how intimidated I feel because of the infrastructure of the school and the curious eyes that meet mine wherever I look. Making my way to the administration building, I realise that I'm getting a lot of attention from both juniors and seniors, so I try to hide my face with my hair, feeling my resolve to look confident slip.

"Uh..." I'm unsure about what to say when I reach a cluttered desk with a clearly irritated red-haired woman trying to locate something in the mess. I wait fruitlessly for her to actually realise I'm there and after the sound of the bell, I clear my throat and knock on the desk.

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah?" her head snaps in my direction, registering my presence for the first time. "I'm sorry," she mumbles, embarrassed, as she puts on a pair of cat eye glasses and scowls at my face. She surely doesn't look sorry.

"I'm Victoria Edwards..." I explain, taking the documents out from my backpack and after briefly studying them, she shuffles off to a cupboard in a far neater condition than her desk.

"Here's your schedule." she distractedly hands me a few papers and then gets back to her work.

I shrug and hurry out of the building, only to enter a long corridor which was designed for bisecting paths for various classes, much like a maze. My first class is American History-Where is that? I look around but don't see any student in the corridors, probably since the classes started ten minutes ago.

Feeling lost, I peep in different classrooms as if I'd somehow recognise my History teacher even though I have no clue who he or she is.

"It is no use", I mumble to myself as I whirl around, intending to head back to the administration department. Instead, I bump into a tall brunette, whose handbag clatters on the floor.

"I'm so sorry." I wince, helping her with her bag and the few of its contents that were on the floor. She has long hair and a nasty frown etched on her forehead, her lips pinched into a pout. The most striking thing of all is the pale glow on her face and the undeniably laser sharp and simply gorgeous features.

"It's no big deal" she sighs as we both get up and she begins to hurry away. That's exactly when it hits me- she could tell me where History classes are held!

"Where do I go for American History?" I call out and she turns around with a smile, already about five yards away.

"That's me. You can follow. C'mon!" she beckons me and I rush after her, whizzing past the terrifying corridor. I hope the teacher is not some snotty old person who embarrasses me in front of a new class on my first day at this new school.

Once we reach, she winces, peeping in.

"He's a douche bag to everyone. Don't mind him," she warns me and we enter the classroom. An old curly-haired guy stops talking from the teacher's desk and looks at us indignantly- definitely a snotty old man who'd clearly enjoy embarrassing any and every pupil seated in the classroom. I follow his gaze, which is focussed sharply on the girl beside me. It is then that I realise that it isn't me he's angry at, it's her.

"Glad you could make it, Catherine," he all but hisses at her and I scowl at him as she ignores him, leading me to an empty set of chairs right in front of him. His grey eyes focus on me then and I smile nervously. He seems to be the kind of teacher who holds grudges against you and then looks for ways to make you pay for it, but I manage to keep a straight face and take my books out.

"Who do we have here?" he gives me a forced smile.

"Uh.." I look around and realise that the entire class is looking at me with amused and curious looks on their faces.

"Victoria Edwards." I give him a tight-lipped smile and he nods. Catherine smiles at me as if she sees the sun in me and I frown at my hands, feeling awkward.

-Edited-