|27| My Life is a Disaster

My mind still reeling from the events I witnessed in the basement barely minutes ago, it takes a while for it to set in that I am not only out of that dingy place but also that Olivier is leading me out into the main living room area. A major part of the crowd seems to be dispersing, carrying with it a vague hum of conversation I wouldn't have caught had I not been straining my ears. The hum of the conversation is mostly emanating from the younger lot of the crowd- at least the physically younger people like Catherine and a few other people I have spotted in town but never registered the names of. The elder people like Mr. And Mrs. Lawson, Annabeth among others all seem to be in a silence both heavy and peaceful in some way. They all seem to be adjusting to the new power dynamics in their world and I would understand that under ordinary circumstances. This however is no ordinary circumstance! How can a secret vampire world or coven or whatever be remotely 'normal' to a person like me?

"So this is over?"

"Yeah! The ceremony is over. Everyone goes back to where they belong- their houses. The new Elders will stay with us.", Olivier mumbles as I face him. His violet eyes stare right into mine and I realise that he's concerned about me. My earlier outburst and blatant attack at Elfric might be one of the reasons for his concern but I won't dwell on that; not now.

"Elders?" I feel a silly smile play my face, thinking about all these twenty-something people including Jareth and Annabeth being referred to as 'Elders'.

"Yeah. They are all young in terms of appearances but-" he looks thoughtfully at Catherine, who looks as if she has some very bad new at her lips. "I'd say they are far more capable than Elfric and that bunch of skeletons,"

I smile at the term 'skeletons' but Catherine, finding it very non-amusing and looking restless as ever widens her eyes at me.

"Spill," Olivier sighs.

"Jareth wants to see you alone, brother." She smiles awkwardly and an eye roll and deep sigh later, she leads Olivier away from me. None of them say anything about taking me home, not that I would get lost on my way from here but I'd just expected some courtesy. Perhaps I don't deserve it.

Heaving in a deep breath, I sulk, making my way to the front door, determined not to be held back by any vampire as I feel the exhaustion kick in. God! I am really tired. It's three in the morning and I'll probably have to sneak into my room so that Sally doesn't yell at me.

"Victoria!" Catherine materialises in front of me, startling me.

"You should really stop doing that," I smile, growing more tired by the second.

"Uh...Viktor is supposed to see you safely to your house."

"But it's just next door!" I whine, throwing my head back like a kid throwing a tantrum when Viktor swaggers up and stands right next to me.

"Jareth's orders. Sorry," Catherine winces and before I can protest, she disappears into the crowd of talking vampires. Stupid stupid vampires!

"Hey creepy guy!" I muster up my sweetest smile while I stare at him, irate for all the reasons on earth. "You giving her trouble?" I thrust my thumb backwards, indicating Catherine.

Viktor gives me a strange knowing look and shakes his head, gesturing ahead with his hands and I stomp ahead, swearing like a crazy person. Seriously though, had Viktor not attacked me, even after what he did to Catherine, I wouldn't exactly hate him like I do now but I still do feel like maybe there is some part of him that regrets what he did- to her as well as me. I mean, that was the reason why I didn't do anything to him when he attacked me. I could have very well hurt him somehow like I could right now.

"Did you know I'd be there for that creepy ritual thingy?" I try even though I suck at small talk.

"I could guess," he mumbles, staring straight ahead as I peek at him sideways. How could he 'guess' I wonder.

"How?"

"Well, let's say that I know you're not normal." He shrugs.

"That is the understatement of the year." I scoff, turning my focus toward the ground below, taking in the scent of pine and the air. The grass in the Lawson's front lawn is tall enough to reach my ankles but it has a sort of beautiful texture to it- the kind that makes you stop and lie down in it just to know how it would feel against your skin. I suspect it may be soft but itchy.

"I tasted your blood you know? I know for a fact that you are nowhere near normal."

"Just when I thought we can talk without you getting all creepy on me." I mutter and cannot help the bitterness from leaking into my tone.

"Look." He stops, just short of the front gate, forcing me to look at his ridiculous face. He even looks stupid- did I just say that? I frown as I feel the irrational anger settle in my chest.

"That happened not because I chose to attack you but-"

"Animal instinct, I know. I was told." I smirk. Ironic what my animal instincts wanted me to do to to him the second he brought this up- strangling him. Guess we're both not much different from each other, then and that thought makes me squirm.

"Yes and you didn't kill me for that. I tasted all that power you could've used against me so easily," he sounds ashamed. I guess he is not too bad if he is ashamed of that but perhaps he's ashamed because he realises what I am capable of.

"If you want us to hug it out, I'm out of here. I still don't like you."I laugh, pushing my hair out of my eyes as a strong wind hits me.

"What I mean is that I knew before anyone else even suspected what you are."

"What am I then? Tell me? It seems like everyone around me, all you crazy leeches seem to know but not me." I challenge him, stalking close to him, staring him straight in the eyes. He steals his eyes away though- just as I expected. He doesn't know shit.

"I don't- I'm not sure," he finally whispers and with an odd impulse to just hit him in the nose, I spin around, staling away as I control my anger. I shouldn't do another stupid thing tonight. Attacking Elfric was stupid enough- not Viktor too. Taking a deep breath, I count my footsteps to calm myself down.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Six- Sally's front door.

"You know what? I should've hurt you. I regret not doing that; you would know your limits then. I know mine and you're way beneath them." I mutter, giving him one last glare as I make my way inside the door.

My life is a disaster.