Chapter 3

"I got one answer already. This one, 'copper stones'. That is definitely Copplestone." Havoc said, pointing at the words.

"But we already talked to him and he was not helpful. Anyone else?" Roy asked.

"'Gold features'. Maybe it's referring to Ed. His hair and eyes are gold." Breda said.

"Well of course it's referring to him. That's why he left the note." Roy growled.

Breda made a face. "I meant that it was referring to his features being unique. Not many people have them."

"Gold as in precious metal, but also his hair and eye colors, so a feature, right?" Riza said.

"Yes, that's what I meant. Didn't you say that Copplestone sold Edward for a pretty penny due to his unique hair and eyes?"

Roy snapped his fingers. "'Black coins' = black market! So Copplestone really did sell him on the black market... But how would he have known that since we found the watch before he was sold?"

"Maybe Copplestone lied." Everyone looked at Maes as he adjusted his glasses. "After all, he kidnapped an officer of the army and his brother and did illegal experiments on him, then sold him on the black market. What makes you think that he would tell you the truth?"

Roy's eyes widened and he stood up, grabbing his coat.

"Hawkeye! Hughes!" he yelled.

"Yes, sir!"

"Havoc, Breda, Fuery, you keep trying to decipher the rest."

"Yes sir!"

****************

Roy sat in the interrogation room waiting for Beje to be brought in when the door opened. Upon seeing Roy, Beje grinned big and was slammed into the seat across from Roy.

"Roy-boy! You came the visit!"

Roy kicked the chair from underneath Beje, making him whack his chin on the table as he fell. Roy got up and grabbed the seat, pulling Beje up by the hair.

"No one calls me Roy-boy. Got it?"

"Loud and clear buddy."

Roy sat him back in the chair as Beje pushed his red hair out of his face.

"Well, there has to be a nickname I can give you. Colonel is so uppity and Mustang is too condescending. Musty just sounds... dumb and just plain Roy is way too informal."

Roy eyed him and he stopped talking. He seemed to get serious and sat up straight.

"You wanted something from me?" Beje asked.

"The truth about Edward Elric. You said he was stolen and then was sold. That can't be true because we found a clue in the fog watch we found and he tells us in code that you were already planning to sell him on the black market. Tell me the real story, Copplestone."

Beje sighed and leaned forward.

"When I said I didn't know where they were going, that was true. I've worked with the black market guys before and when they saw your boy, they wanted him. I told them he was my personal experiment and they couldn't have him. I really had just used my regression formula on him and had just been ready to turn him back when they came. They snatched him up and began to destroy my serums. Then the armor kid got up and went after his brother. He was able to get the kid away when one of the men got on top of the armor and pulled off his helmet. They must have had some deep knowledge of alchemy because as soon as they saw the blood seal in the armor, they immediately knew what it was and began to scrape it away.