Deleted Scene: Dick's Birthday Party

A/N:
This was written back when I first started Ingenious as a place I wanted the two characters to end up at the end of the book. I originally planned to write all through season one of Young Justice, but things changed. During the final chapter of this book, an incredible idea struck me, one I loved more than any other plot twist I had thought of. You will learn about it fairly quickly in Inaspirical, but I will not give spoilers.

I hope you enjoy this, and you can consider it canon in my Ingenious universe. The only warning I have is that this was written for Dick Grayson's birthday in the comics, which is usually the first day of spring: March 31st. I did not realize until later that the Young Justice universe officially credits his birthday as the first of December.

Peace, love, and
~Art

December 1st
Wayne Manor
18:02

"SURPRISE!" Everybody shouted. Laughing, they saw Dick's reaction to party. He did a good job of making his shock seem genuine. In fact, all were fooled at his guise, except one.

A group of people pulled him to a chair at the head of the dining table, giving him a party hat to wear.

"Wow," Dick said, getting over his initial 'shock'. "You guys didn't have to do all this." His eyes scanned the room. It was filled with balloons and streamers. A large cake sat on the table along with other foods.

"Were you surprised?" One girl asked.

"Absolutely!" He grinned excitedly. "How did you guys keep this from me? When did you start planning it?"

"Three weeks ago." Bruce came down the stairs, smiling. "But I had the idea a long time ago. After all, you only turn fourteen once."

While he had known about the party, Dick was still a bit shocked that none of his friends had managed to slip up and reveal it. He had found out on his own terms.

For dinner they ate everything Dick normally would not touch: pizza, potato chips, and soda being the main things. The birthday boy greeted all his friends, some who had shown up late.

"Happy fourteenth!" Wally shouted. Quietly, he added, "Kaldur tried to make it, but he is in Atlantis right now. Plus, he doesn't really blend well with people. You know, the gills?"

He laughed it off and pretended Wally had said something funny. "I totally get it!" Dick yelled, in two different contexts.

Wally cracked an amused smile, playing along. "Where's Parker?" He asked.

Dick glanced over to the lone girl, hanging out on the stairs with her phone. She occasionally sipped her drink, but, other than that, her eyes remained fixed on the cellular device.

"I don't think she does well with people." Dick gathered.

"You don't say." The sarcastic friend muttered. "She seems to do well with you." He elbowed his friend playfully.

The birthday boy shot a warning glance at the speedster. "I'm glad to see you're keeping your word: you're not dropping it."

"Nope." Wally nudged Dick a second time. "You should go talk to her."

Dick shook his head. "I don't want to overwhelm her anymore. She does this thing, something she doesn't know she does. It's like she hides inside herself. When she does that, her introvert side shows. She doesn't want to be around people. The only reason she's still down here is because it's my birthday."