Six

Kam breathed steadily as Emilia laid out on her loveseat with her head on his chest. He had one arm around her waist and the other leaning on the armrest as he flipped through the TV stations.

She had gotten home yesterday, and her pain relievers mostly made her sleep. He had her awake enough today to feed her some soup and then make her spaghetti for dinner. She only ate half of each before claiming she was full and then stiffly walking over to the loveseat to sleep more.

He knew that sleep cured this type of stuff, but he was starting to get nervous... and lonely.

He stroked her hair when she shifted against him and then slowly pushed herself up. She rubbed her adorable eyes and glanced over at him.

"Not that I don't appreciate you, but why are you here, Kam?" she breathed and leaned into his side.

He muted the TV and looked over at her.

"You need someone to take care of you. Figured you didn't want to stay at your mother's place during all of this and have her bitch about how making babies has been postponed. Also... I wanted to take care of you."

"Why did you come back? I mean, you left me to fight, but then you left fighting for me," she mumbled.

"I couldn't fight without you. You became my good luck charm, and I just couldn't do it without you there. I needed to see you again. When I called and you finally picked up I knew I couldn't wait any longer. Then that psycho came and... and for the first time since active combat I was terrified. Truly, terrified. I couldn't lose you, not when I had hurt you for so long before and not when I couldn't even fight without you. You mean something to me, babe. I don't know what but you do."

He stared at her green eyes for a long time then.

She breathed unevenly and looked away after a few moments. Emilia stared at his tight grey shirt that clung to his muscular torso and matched his lovely eyes.

"I don't know how to do this, Kam. How to be in a relationship. I don't know what to say or do..." she faded off and glanced at him.

He kissed her forehead.

"I guess we'll learn together then. I think we're doing pretty good for now," he murmured to her and then pulled her into his lap and carefully didn't touch her rib area.

"I hate being scared. I hate feeling weak," she said softly.

He shook his head.

"Babe, you are anything but weak. You shot that fucker twice and then strangled him. You were braver than most people would be and you put up a great fight. You won, babe. He's dead and you're not. There's something to be said about that," he told her.

She swallowed hard.

"There has to be more of them. He couldn't have been on his own. I wanted his name or something, but he never answered. He just said he'd been watching me. I - I don't want to go back to work, Kam. I'm afraid to go back," she whispered.

He closed his eyes tight because it pained him to know she was afraid.

"I'll come with you. I'll be like your bodyguard... with benefits," he snickered, and she pinched his neck.

Kam swatted her hand away with a good laugh.

"I want you to train me," she mumbled.

He blinked and then looked down at her in disbelief. She was being serious as she stared up at him.

"I want you to show me how to defend myself. I want to move quick and know how to block myself," she whispered and then leaned her head into his shoulder and neck.