Eight

Kam slammed on his brakes as he saw a car speeding out of Emilia's driveway and down the road. He got a gut wrenching feeling about it and swerved around to follow them. He gunned it and sped after them.

He had decided he was a little too harsh on her back at the gym and was going to apologize. He even brought her flowers and Chinese food for dinner. He wasn't really that banged up about the entire thing, only that she embarrassed the hell out of him in that gym. The guys were all light about it and said how awesome she was. Then he realized how awesome she actually was for the thousandth time and went after her.

Kam kept up in his Audi easily with the car. They realized he was following and pretty soon one leaned out the window with a fucking machine gun and started blasting away. Kam swerved out next to the car and rammed the driver's side of the vehicle. Both cars spun out and Kam practically jumped out of his Audi before it stopped moving to run over to the car. He yanked open the backdoor and pulled Emilia out.

He brought her over to the side of the street and asked a bystander to watch her and call 911. When he sprinted back over to the car, the assholes had woken up and realized they needed to go. They sped away in their broken down car, and Kam barely had time to memorize the licence plate number. He couldn't chase them down in his Audi now, and he had Emilia back.

Emilia stood up when he jogged over and threw her arms around his neck. She began sobbing instantly as he cradled her head to his chest and squeezed her against him.

"What the fuck is going on, Kam?!" she wailed and trembled in his arms.

He gritted his teeth to hold in the anger that boiled up his throat. His arms gripped tight around her and he kept kissing her head and face when she pulled away to wipe under her eyes. He stared at the lights as the cops pulled up with an ambulance.

                       ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Kam rubbed her back some more as she finished up eating her egg roll. Emilia was in shock, which meant she was surprisingly pleasant and calm for the moment. There was enough for him to salvage the damned Chinese food from the back of his car to feed her some dinner. He fished around and heated up two hot-pockets for himself.

"Do you think I got in the mob somehow? Think I made them a bad deal and now they want vengeance?" Emilia asked as she stared blankly into space and dropped her hands into her lap.

"No, I don't think so. I do think that you need to clean yourself up and get some shut eye. Come on, I'll take you up to get ready," he said.

She shook her head and blinked finally. She sighed heavily.

"I left my shower running at home. I need to go get my things. I - I can't just leave all my stuff there," she winced.

Kam grabbed her by the shoulders and made her look him dead in the eyes.

"Nothing in that house is more valuable than your life. Nobody knows if they raided your place while they took you, or if someone is keeping an eye on it all the time. You are never going back there again. I'll find some guys, and we'll all head out tomorrow to get your shit and put it in storage. For now, the only thing I want you thinking about is getting washed up and some sleep. Alright?" he asked in a very firm voice.

She felt like a child, but she knew she needed it desperately.

"Okay," she croaked.

He grabbed her plate and put it in his stainless steel sink before coming back and lifting her up. Her body had been jostled from the accident. He hardly felt anything with all the adrenaline pumping through him. Kam was really pissed that his car was back at Probst Auto and possibly going to be totaled. He had the money, but he just was pissed that everything had to happen like this. He was thankful he got Emilia back though.