Chapter 29 - Run

Chapter 29 - Run

*Amber’s POV*

There could be hundreds of reasons for this, not just the one. I have heard that stress can do this- stop your period and make you sick, it doesn’t necessarily mean the thing everyone assumes. That will be it, just stress, it has to be.

I try to calm myself as I stare at the small box in my handbag; if it’s just stress then I have nothing to fear, do I? I can feel tears welling up in my eyes, no matter what I tell myself I can’t keep the thought from my mind. After mum died, when I was living with Aunt Magda, I always dreamed of having children. I would do everything my family failed to do; I would stay away from dangerous men unlike my mother, I wouldn’t turn my child into a bitch like Aunt Magda did Susan. I would be a kind, loving mother who gave her child the best upbringing she could. But now I realize that can never happen. Unwillingly I have turned out like my mother; she turned out like my grandmother and maybe grandma turned out like her mother. I don’t know when it started but it’s in my blood, my families’ blood. I can’t allow myself to drag another person into this life, it must end with me.

“Hush, little baby, don't say a word,

Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird

And if that mockingbird won't sing,

Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring.”

I can hear that girl- the creepy one with dreadlocks- singing outside the bathroom door. It sends me shivers up my spine, does she know?

“And if that diamond ring turns brass,

Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass.

And if that looking glass gets broke,

Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat”

I can feel tears welling up in my eyes; I know this song, my mother, she sang to me once, before Lee came along, I remember her smiling down at me, my mama.

“And if that billy goat don't pull,

Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull.

And if that cart and bull turn over,

Mama's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark,

Mama's gonna buy you a horse and cart.

And if that horse and cart fall down,

You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town”

I quickly wipe away my tears; it’s not worth crying over, she lied to me, soon as Lee turned up her ‘sweetest little baby’ just got in the way.

“Amber?! Get the fuck down here now!” I hear Dan yell through the floorboards. I sigh and close up my bag, quickly stuffing the box to the bottom. I quickly check myself over in the mirror before wearily making my way down to Dan, even though all I really want to do is run.

*Rory’s POV*

“I will be back I promise,” I whisper though I know I may not be able to keep that promise. “I will meet you here at midnight ok?” I say and she nods slowly. “Hey, light up, I am going to set things right again, I will make up for all this mess, don’t worry.” I say. “Every hour move on to a new place and at the first sign of trouble; run.” I tell her.

“Rory…I’m scared, don’t leave me alone.” She whispers, her voice pulling at my heart.

“You’re bound to be afraid, but it just a few hours. You will never be alone Autumn, even if I am not physically there, even if you can’t hear my voice, I’ll be there, I won’t let anything bad happen to you again.” I whisper, gently pushing her chin up with my finger. Her large emerald eyes meet mine and I fight back tears as I gaze into them, knowing I might never see them again. “I love you Autumn, remember that.” I whisper before turning and walking away.