Chapter 8

"Am I interrupting something?" I raise my voice after I've observed a whole minute of what has been absurdly going on inside The Caffeine Lab at seven o'clock in the morning.

I am supposed to be the first unlocking the shop for an early stock check according to the roster. But Naira is already here. More shockingly, with Ming.

My initial assumption is that Ming is harassing her as their hands are intimately touching. Then I figure she is instructing Ming something with coffee. The exchange of gazes between them makes my stomach heave so I can't help pushing abruptly through the glass doors.

"Good morning, Xue," Naira greets me in her usual affectionate voice while Ming seems guileless as he puts on a carefree smile. Wait a minute, he has never smiled at me before.

Ming's beard is gone, so is his clumsy oily hair. I get behind the counter. His trousers, long enough to cover his ankle, are clean and ironed. What's going on? Have I accidentally activated a time portal?

Having sensed my bewilderment, Naira pulls me aside. "We need to talk."

"Yes, we do," I answer, knitting my brows.

"I will get you two breakfast." Ming proposes as he removes his apron and sidles away from the counter.

"Did something hit him in the head?" I inquire as soon as he leaves.

"He's just being nice."

I put a finger on her lips. "Don't say that. Such lie can anger the fairies."

"Fairies don't exist," she deadpans.

"So is a nice Ming!"

"We have a deal."

Apparently Ming begged Naira to tutor him on latte art few days ago, the day when I was absent from work in the afternoon. Naira says he asked very politely, so she agreed under one condition: he has to improve, both in the way he treats us and his outlook.

"And he doesn't want you to make fun of it," Naira adds.

"So a truce?"

"Yes, please just give him a chance."

I roll my eyes. "I see you have given him plenty."

Obviously, Naira doesn't enjoy my sarcasm. She squints her eyes at me and crosses her arms. Her lecture is about to begin so I have to state my point first.

"I don't trust him." There, the point is made.

"He has changed! You've seen his new haircut."

"It's easy to fix the hair, but to fix terrible personalities, not so much."

"He is trying."

I shake my head. "Not enough to make it okay for you to be alone with him. I don't approve."

Her eyes flicker with irritation and she retorts, "Since when I need your approval to do a favor for a colleague? I've worked with him for almost a year now. I get to judge if I want to teach him or not."

"I'm trying to protect you. Who knows what will he do to you?"

"If something goes wrong, I can take care of it myself. It's not your problem!"

Before I know it, we are already in the middle of a heated quarrel.

"I didn't say it's a problem. Don't twist my words. And if something really goes wrong, there's no wa-"

"Xue, you are not my mother!" she snaps.

"Jesus! Why is everyone complaining I'm a mother?" I yell but immediately lower my volume as I see Toshio has entered the shop.