Chapter 1

Today is a big day its the reaping where tributes from the ages of 12 to 18 are chosen to go into A arena where they fight to the death until one victor remains. Honestly I think its sick especially when some of the tributes are so young. I get dressed and have a shower but my mother tells me to do my hair. What is the chances of it being me any way? ugh I'm not a big fan of my mum I way prefer my dad. As today is the Reaping I don't have to help out in the bakery a good side I guess.  

"Peeta breakfast!" My brother shouts he doesn't need to shout. Anyway its not really breakfast since when do you call stale bread breakfast. Anyway I better not annoy him so I walk downstairs. 

"your not worried?" I question him  

"Nah pfft why are you? Coward" He laughs. In my mind I imagine him in the games he wouldn't last 5 minutes. let alone me well I don't know I guess the same. I just let it drop. I look over at the clock 9.45. we have to make our way to the square at 10. I don't touch my 'breakfast' and head straight to the window and watch people line up getting there fingers pricked. Without saying to anyone I walk out the door and line up I don't like standing with my brothers so I will go alone. I look at the people ahead of me. I can only see one of my friends and... Her! Katniss and what looks like her little sister. I've always liked Katniss but she doesn't know and I reckon she has a thing with that boy ,Gale.  

I got evaded in thought and didn't realise I was standing at the table. The lady gestures for me to give her my hand so she can take my blood to say I'm here. I walk behind the boys and find my way into the crowd.I wait for about ten minutes until the mayor and his daughter, Madge walk out and take their seats on stage behind them DISTRICT 12's mentor Haymitch Abernathy the only living victor from district 12. Finally behind him is Effie Trinket she comes from the capitol and escorts the tributes to the capitol. 

"Welcome welcome to the 74th Hunger games now before we begin we have a very special clip bought to you all the way from the capitol" Its the same video every year about war and how the games begun.I kind of tune her out until I hear some one screaming and I recognise it 

"Prim! Prim! I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!" Its Katniss Without hesitation she runs up to her sister hugs her but her sister don't let go that's when someone pushes past me.Gale. He walks up to them and carries Prim, I believe her name is, of to her mother. Effie trinket continues " Our very first volunteer what's your name dear?" 

"Katniss Everdeen " 

"well I bet my hat that was your sister wasn't it?" 

"Yes" 

"Well let's have a big round of applause for our fist volunteer from district 12, Katniss Everdeen" No one applauses what happens is pretty extraudenary everyone place 3 fingers from their left hand to their lips then raises them up high to show love.  

"And now for the boys" she walks over the the other glass bowl digs around and then pickes out a name. Slowly she opens it and reads out the name "Peeta Mellark"