CHAPTER IV

It was four fifteen, the final bell rang. I stood outside near the bike shed, some space away from the school buildings. It was drizzling, a steady stream of rain pouring on the heads of buildings and students from sad, grey clouds. With me, in her bright red bomber jacket and mom-jeans was Winnie. She fiddled with her silver septum ring, her nails were yellow and chipped. Blowing smoke into my face was Irvin Tehrani, a classmate and dealer. A cigarette was in the corner of his mouth. He pulled his hood up over his wavy black curls, rubbing a hand over his Justin Bieber moustache. "Give me $10, and a kiss from the birthday girl. It's good quality weed. I'll give you a gram now and another on Friday."

Winnie took out a crumpled note and handed it over to him. She looked at me expectantly. "Take one for the team."

"It's not a sacrifice if I want to do it," I grinned at her. Her eyebrows shot up. I wrapped my arms around Irvin's neck, he pulled out his cigarette, the other hand on my waist. We kissed once, and then again, this time intensely. It was nice. I liked it.

"I'll just wait here, standing awkwardly while you make out," Winnie said loudly. "Really, guys. It's no problem. Just ...OK, stop now. I didn't sign up to be a third wheel today."

"You cóck-block," Irvin grasped her hand, slipping the bag and casting a wary glance around for any teachers. "I'll see you guys later. Maybe you a little sooner, birthday girl."

"Maybe, Tehrani,"

Winnie waited until he was out of ear-shot. "He's cute."

"He is."

"You guys ever going to get together or not?"

"Nah," I waved the idea away. "I like our casual relationship. Anyway. He's part of some gang, they have dodgy dealings. I don't want any part of it."

"Good point. Shall we go up on my roof and smoke a little?"

"Last time we did that, I almost fell and broke my neck."

"I'll handcuff you to me."

"So we can both fall? Winnie, you're an ass. And I really can't. I've got detention."

"Don't go,"

"Rider is a shitface. He'll try to get me suspended if I don't go, you've seen how he is,"

She made a face. "Yeah. He kicked whatshisname – Giff – out of class. He moved him to another block."

"I better go,"

"You want me to wait for you?"

"It's an hour."

"Yikes, forget I offered. I'll go to the mall, buy you a present."

"You don't have to do that,"

"Really? That's a relief–"

"Fuck you thought. I want a present."

She laughed, "You're a prick."

I grinned, "Adios, perra."

**

"You're late."

"It's four thirty."

"It's four thirty-one."

"There were a lot of steps to climb. The escalator was out of order. I'm sorry, alright?" I took a seat on the table opposite him, clasped my hands in front of me.

He was leaning back in his chair, a pen behind his ear, sleeves rolled up, laptop in front of him. He watched me. "You smell of cigarettes. How long have you been smoking?"