CHAPTER XLVII

CHAPTER XLVII

With stiff legs, an arduous spine and an unnatural upward tilt to my mouth, I walked to stand in front of Zeus, never once breaking eye contact with the brother I had last seen when I was fourteen at a tense family gathering during the winter holiday. I memorised his features like a mother would to a son in the army at a train station, heart heavy with a fear that made no sense; certain if I looked away I'd forget.

At the age of twenty four, he had grown out of his teenage chubby years into a man that walked with pride, a man that reeked of wealth and gluttony, a man that was vainglorious. He was dressed in a fine-tailored suit with the stitching made of white gold, one hand in his pocket, confident. Surgery had changed the unfortunate face into a skull with skin stretched tight over the forehead, a once boxer's nose had been broken down into a smaller, straight bridge, and if I recalled correctly, the mole under his lip had been removed. He was handsome, black hair sleek and combed back, grey eyes cold and flinty, smile bright and white ...it was perfectly constructed, not a flaw in sight. His surgeon must've been paid very well.

Silence stretched out between us like an unwanted guest, smothering and robbing the air from the hallway.

Memories rushed towards me like a furious bull, crashing into me: Zeus crying after Eton and I, aged four, ruined his ninth birthday party by tearing open his presents and force feeding each other the cake with fists; Zeus watching from the hallway as Mom and Dad packed Eton and I into the car for a day trip to the zoo, his expression twisted into hatred, eyes gleaming with jealousy and hands balled into a fist; Zeus arriving a month after Eton's arrest, back from a trip with a friend and her family, face red and outraged, mortified by the news, screaming at Mom that all his friends knew and his social life and reputation was ruined, and Zeus packing his clothes up a week after arriving back from boarding school, swearing to Mom and Dad that he'd never return after a stupid argument about his allowance.

The longer I stared at him, the more overcome with emotions I became. I felt an ache surfacing deep in my chest, buried under years of denial and abandonment, and my eyes watered. "I missed you." My voice was soft, quiet.

"I missed you, too," his cold-blooded demeanour splintered and revealed a warm smile. He pulled me into a tight hug, kissing the top of my head and asking once we pulled away, still holding each other. "How've you been? It's been far too long. We must catch up."

There were sudden footsteps, a departure and then Uncle Hektor shouting. "Eton? Eton!" He sighed in aggravation as Eton slammed his bedroom door shut, saying. "I'll go see to him. Why don't the pair of you go into the kitchen? Pour your brother a drink, Calla."

"No, I'll go," I said, moving towards the stairs, "he'll talk to me."

"Dinner will be ready in twenty." Uncle Hektor informed.

"Got it." I headed up the stairs, along the landing, and knocked on the door opposite Mom's bedroom. "Can I come in?" I asked. There was no response, only the silence of a brooding, maddened nineteen year old boy on the other side of the door. I jiggled the handle. "Eton? Open the fucking door, Eton!"

There was a soft click of the lock and Eton wrenched open the door. His expression was contorted into a snarl, hot-tempered and irate, he glared at me coldly, looking as if he wished he could murder me. "What?!"

"Don't be a child–"

"Shut the fuck up and listen to me, you stupid bitch," he interrupted, tone harsh, stepping closer and lowering his voice, venomous, revealing his bad nature, "I'm not going to put egos or grudges aside and play happy families with that son of a bitch downstairs. He's not my family. He means nothing to me. I don't know the bastard. And as of today, I don't know you. You are as bad as him. A fucking liar!" He shoved me furiously, violently. "Put on the waterworks, sniffle and everything's forgiven, huh? Did you miss him, Calla?" His voice was now a hush, a grave warning, metal grey gaze flashing with rage. "You've missed your big brother and you couldn't help but run into his arms as soon as you saw him. Whatever you say in private holds no truth. You're a liar. I don't believe a word that comes out of your fucking mouth. What are you waiting for, huh? Run along, you fucking bitch. Go back to him. He's waiting for you." He spat at my feet. "Come near me again and I'll hurt you. Fuck off!"

"Allow me to explain–"

He appeared as if he was going to leap forward and attack, a waiting tiger crouched, ready to pounce, and then he leaned back, expression empty of emotion, threatening with every intent to carry out his promises. "I don't want to kill you, Calla. I'm holding myself back but if you say another word to me, I'll crush your skull against Mom's door. Leave."

There was no reasoning with him, he held onto his explosive anger with tightly fisted hands and his bloodlust smelled foul. I shrugged a shoulder, no longer interested in explaining myself to a brick wall. "Alright. Whatever." I turned on my heel, stepping towards the top of the stairs. Suddenly, I was shoved roughly, I jolted forward and with wide eyes, I grabbed onto the railing with both hands, heart hammering fast in my chest, shocked and horrified. I twirled around, yelled in outrage. "What the hell is the matter with you!?"

"I wish you fell to your death." Eton said darkly, expression mean. He turned around, headed into his room and slammed his door shut once more.

I was stunned; he really hated me enough to hurt me. I ... I didn't know what to do, or say. I couldn't believe it.

***