CHAPTER LXXIX

CHAPTER LXXIX

Full of misery, Springbridge was a sodden town with weather forecasters gesturing to a green screen of a predicted storm. Reports came of a tempestuous disturbance in the coming days and the local weatherwoman with her glistening white teeth and blonde hair advised residents to stock up on groceries in the downpour now rather than later when the streets would flood.

Impatience grew in the heat of the living room, analogous to nettles, with leaves covered in stinging and prickling hairs, easily irritable. It sat in a pot at my feet, brooding as the grey afternoon slipped into a darkening early evening. Had it been any other day I wouldn't have minded waiting. But commercial breaks led to the switch of programmes and another news report of the weather and Uncle Hektor was starting to frown.

I sent a quick text to Winnie: Where are you?

"I know you're going to be disappointed but it's not a good idea to go out in this weather. Especially not with a storm on the horizon."

"You already said I could go," I spoke knowing he had been building to go back on his word. "We've been planning Velvet's birthday weekend for weeks. I can't back out now and I don't wish to. I've packed and Winnie will be here soon."

"Invite your friends here–"

"So my dysfunctional family can act as entertainment? You're not YouTube-ready just yet, Uncle Hektor. I'm not cancelling or changing plans. I've paid our share of the fee for the cabin and it's non-refundable." My phone pinged with a text notification. "Winnie's here. I've got to go. See you next Monday."

"Wait," he sighed and called out just as I reached the threshold, he hoisted himself up off the sofa slightly, reaching for his wallet in his back pocket. He held out a wad of notes. "Spend wisely. Don't drink and drive. Don't take drugs and look out for your brother."

"Will do," I folded the notes of twenties up and kissed him on the cheek to keep him sweet. "If he throws a fit, I'll call you to pick him up."

I headed out into the hallway, shouting for Eton to come downstairs, that our ride was here. He shouted something unclear in return and there were footsteps and then a heavy backpack thrown down the stairs followed by a rolled up sleeping bag. I shot backwards, mouth full of restrained curses and expression tinted in anger. Stupid son of a bitch. I refrained from lashing out at him.

I unzipped his backpack, sifting through his belongings to make sure he wasn't stupid enough to bring a memoir of his famous killings or his favourite lock of hair from some stupid bitch he killed a few months ago. His clothes had been stuffed at the very bottom with a brand-new pack of underwear at the side, toiletries and deodorant can on top, a folded rope, a box of condoms, his charger and packets of junk food. I checked the side pockets and found a box of rusty-grey nails and a pocketknife and breath mints. I took out the nails and tossed it towards the open door of the study and moved his toiletries to a side pocket, and placed his toothbrush securely inside the holder. Then I slipped the pocketknife into my own backpack.

I straightened up and headed to the kitchen. There was a heavy aroma of spices in the air and a creamy yellow soup bubbled in a pot. "What is it?" I asked Zeus.

He stirred the pot, holding up a spoon for me to taste. "Sweet potato, coconut and cardamom soup. I'm yet to add spinach but as soon as it's ready, I'll set aside a bowl for Eton and then add spinach and red peppers to the pot. There's baked bread in the oven. It's still hot so be careful not to burn your fingers."

"Winnie's here. We're leaving now,"

"Wait five minutes and I'll fill the Tupperware boxes. You can eat on the road."

"We're not really that hungry," I said, displaying a false show of regret for the effort he went to. "And can you really trust Eton not to slosh his soup over someone? He's clumsy."

"Why not stay for a little while longer? Call Winnie inside. There's enough places at the dinner table for everyone."

"We're already late as it is," I said, "anyway, I've got tinned food in my backpack and I hear someone's brought pizza."

Heavy footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs.

"I'll tell Winnie you said hi," I said and headed out to meet Eton as he jumped down. He carried a black fanny pack around his waist and wore his oversized denim jacket and a white tee. "Open your pack."

He batted my hand away. "You're so fucking intrusive, Calla. Mind your own damn business."

"It's Cleo," I pulled him back with a grip on his forearm, expression hard. "Don't fuck up, Eton."

"It's Ethan," he mocked, admiring his reflection in the mirror, pushing a hand through his styled hair. He locked eyes with my reflection, mouth upturned in mischief. "Don't look so worried, sis, your friends are going to love me. And if they don't, we'll have fun hunting every last one of them. Now who was it I had to stay away from again?"

I grabbed my backpack and sleeping bag, following him out of the front door and keeping close as he opened an umbrella over our heads. "The goth. Oran. She had a twin. There was an incident and the weird bitch died."

Amused, his eyebrows dipped slightly in remembrance. "Was it the one who drowned?"

I nodded. "She took a dip and figured out too late that she couldn't swim. The goth bitch knows about us and I'm guessing she hacked into the school records and filled in the missing blanks from what she gathered. She's crafty but not as intelligent as she believes she is. So keep away from her."

"And leave you defenceless?" he paused just short of the chrome grey Toyota Rav4. "Is she pretty?"

"She's sickly-pale, malnourished with fucked up teeth. Sounds just like your type."

"And here I was fantasying about hate-fucking her into an early grave, what a shame," he clicked his tongue and slipped off his backpack and shoved it in my arms. "What about the birthday girl, is she pretty?"

I opened the trunk and set our backpacks inside amongst the sleeping bags. "She's gay. You know, this isn't a trip for you to fuck everyone and everything you see." I closed the trunk.

"I've brought thirty-six condoms. I wouldn't bring so many unless I was planning on using the whole box."

"What about Winnie? She's the reason you're here–"

"Only to make sure she doesn't whore herself out. I'm the jealous type. I can't help but follow her wherever she goes and I'll drag her by her hair to an early grave if she so much as touches another man. Speaking of other men, am I going to find out who's the father of your baby?" grey eyes gleamed darkly in delight.

"Get in the fucking car." I wasn't about to entertain him.

He laughed. "Ladies first," he held open the door and just before I slipped in, he caught my elbow, murmuring quietly in my ear. "I told you, I'm the jealous type. Whoever he is, I'll find him and kill him. So enjoy the weekend, Cleo, it might just be the last time you smile."

***