CHAPTER LXXI

CHAPTER LXXI

The six-foot something man was a muscular smudge in the outline of the kitchen. His powder-grey suit was complimentary to the cinereal tiles and black apparatuses. His hair had been dyed black, and his strong jaw was covered in a few days old worth of stubble. Mouth downwards, grimness surrounded him like a horde of loud angry wasps. He was decay and death and the smell was masked by flesh and the thump thump thump of his heartbeat. Whilst the sight of him uncovered longing and panging, the scene lacked verisimilitude: he was not my father no matter how much I wished and hoped for. His affinity to my father was the sole reason I could not hate Uncle Hektor. Maybe if I could indulge in a fleeting moment of delusions and allow myself to be back in the presence of my father again... My chest tightened.

No.

The murmurs ceased as my presence became known and heads turned in my direction. "Calla," Uncle Hektor greeted in displeasure, stealing a glance at the expensive gold plated watch on his wrist. "You're home late." He wanted an explanation.

"Sorry. I got held up in class." I said, pausing by the threshold of the room. I glanced at Zeus who was sat at the island table on a leather stool with his laptop and documents in front of him and then returned my gaze to Uncle Hektor. "How was your trip?"

He was not in the mood for pleasantries and cordial conversation. "Where is your brother?"

I gestured to Zeus. "Right here,"

"Calla."

"It's Cleo," I corrected. "And Eton was feeling homesick so he took a trip down memory lane and went to see gram and gramps. He's a phone call away if you miss him. Or I could show you how to use FaceTime. It'll be like he's right in the room with you."

He heaved a heavy sigh, rubbing a hand across his jaw, perturbed. "A few house-rules are in order. One: Eton is not to leave the house without a custodian. Two: he is not allowed to drive. Three: he is not allowed to use the Internet without permission and supervision. Four: this is not a hotel. Come and see me before leaving to go out. And if you're going to be out after midnight, don't return home. And finally, five: if you want money, you'll work for it. Is that understood?"

"I'm not my brother's keeper. If he wants to leave the house, I'm not going to hold his hand and help him cross the road. And this isn't a penitentiary. What's done is done. Stop disturbing the past and return to the present, Uncle Hektor. I get it. It hurts that Mom chose Dad over you but it's been over two decades: Time has given and taken years from you and yet you are still the same. When will your heartache end?" I was no longer in the affairs of Hektor and drawn to my own. My attention drifted unbeknownst to the pair in the room.  

"Your tone is disrespectful and a dishonour to your upbringing. Our mother didn't raise a swine." Zeus insulted, golden brown gaze slanted and flashing with anger. "Did she?"

"You lick where he used to spit. By mother and father, by son and daughter, by brother and sister, I sought out to rise in your likeliness. An insult is shared between us lest you forget it." I met his gaze, hot-blooded and heavy-lidded. In a quick flash, the flames to my anger was extinguished, heavy boots trampling on the flickering embers and leaving behind sooty ashy remains. I apologised immediately. "I'm sorry. My manners are obloquious and an incorrect inclination as to my upbringing. Forgive me." My words ended on a softer note. I felt lightheaded.

"Are you alright?" A heavy hand was placed on my shoulder. Uncle Hektor was concerned. He furrowed his brows. My sight blurred: Dad looked down at me and smiled. Warmth filled my chest. Reality returned. Uncle Hektor stood before me. "Calla?"

I raised a hand to my forehead. My skin was ablaze. I opened my mouth to speak, in a flush of heat. "I..." My knees crumbled under me. The last thing I could recall was my mother shouting in the distance, her voice like a whistle in my ears, a high-pitched kettle, and then I collapsed into unconsciousness.

Relief.

***

ima update again soon, idk about you guys but i really love calla. yeah shes done awful shit but etons committed worse crimes but she gets a lot of shit for it. and a lot of people seem to hate her. :/ and at the end of the day she does everything she can to protect eton but doesnt let him know. she doesn't speak about it. rather she lashes out her frustrations with having to protect him. and then eton goads and attempts to guilt trip her. they're both awful people but i do sympathise with them,

 they're both awful people but i do sympathise with them,