Chapter 3__Friday Night Bites

Stefan was being a total show-off by throwing a perfect throw straight toward Tyler Lockwood. Tyler caught it but knocked back a few steps and giving Stefan an incredulous glare, and his best friend Matt Donovan looking impressed and looking like he was thinking: damn.

I turned and started to walk for Tanner's class, and the bell rang as I walked in, sitting down in the only emty seat left. In front of Bonnie Bennett. Okay, no that wasn't the only free seat left. There was on in front of Stefan and next to Elena, but I didn't want to sit there.

"World War II end in . . . ?" Tanner asked. No one answered. "Anyone got anything? Ms. Juan? 1945. Pearl Harbor? Nothing? Ms. Gilbert?"

"Hm?" Elena hummed.

He cleared his throat. "Pearl Harbor."

"Um . . ."

"December 7th, 1941," Stefan answered for his damsel in distress.

I rolled my eyes at the technical cheater. "Thank you, Miss Gilbert," Tanner said sarcastically.

A few students chuckled. "Anytime."

"Very well. The fall of the Berlin Wall."

"1989. I'm good with dates, sir."

"Are you?" Tanner asked. "How good? Keep it to the year. Civil Rights Act."

"1964," Stefan answered.

"John F. Kennedy assassination."

"1963."

"Martin Luther King."

"'68."

"Lincoln."

"1865."

"Roe v. Wade?"

"1973."

"Brown v. Board?"

"1954."

"The Battle of Gettysburg."

"1863."

"Korean War."

"1950 to 1953."

"Ha! It ended in '52. Ha-ha-ha."

Tanner started to turn and walk away as Stefan said, "Uh, actually, sir, it was '53."

"Look it up. Somebody. Quickly."

"It was 19 . . 53," the kid two seats away from Elena said.

Students chuckled and applauded, but I didn't bother because I knew that Stefan wouldn't have known anh of that if he hadn't been a vampire.

When Stefan had gone to dinner at Elena's house, I had stayed home, but Damon had found some way to weasel his way into it, unsurprisingly.

I had never been into the teen girl cheerleader prep rallies sorta thing, and I doubted I ever would be, so I each time there was a prep ralley or a bon fire for school or games or cheerleading things, I wouldn't go. At all.

Stefan was, though, apparently, because he was suddenly on the team thanks to Elena's convincing after seeing the way he threw the ball yesterday.

Normally, on those nights, I ended up going to sleep earlier than usual.

This time wasn't the case.

Because Stefan told me and my dad that Damon had killed another person when he got home.

And it was our history teacher, his new football coach.

Mr. Tanner.

Yeah, he was dead.

The teacher had never crossed my mind more than once a day, and only one time at all because I had been in his class. Now . . .

Everyone had hated him. It wasn't hard to guess at. He had been an ass to everyone.

But now he was just dead, because my vampire ancestor - one of them - was a complete monster.

When exactly was that supposed to end?