Chapter 16__There Goes the Neighborhood

I was just getting home from school as Anna and her mother walked out of my house.

I glared at Anna. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Not for you, promise," Anna promised.

"Well, excuse me if I don't find that very comforting being you kidnapped me to get to Stefan and Damon so you could get her," I looked at her mother, "out of the tomb."

Anna exhaled quietly as her mother's eyebrows furrowed. "I'm not sure I understand. If you live here, how--"

"Damon destroyed the deed so I wouldn't be able to change it or get a new one," I cut her off, already knowing her next question. "That's why you didn't need an invite. Now--" I glared at both of them. "Get out of my house."

Without waiting for an answer, I walked inside and shut the door, seeing Damon on the floor in the living room, holding his eyes as they healed, blood covering his face as I dropped my bag to the floor. "What the hell happened to you?"

~

I was walking down the stairs when I heard Matt demand, "Mom?"

"Damon?" Caroline Forbes demanded.

What the hell were Matt Donovan and Caroline Forbes doing here? And Matt's mother?

I stopped at the bottom of the stairs, looking toward Damon and Ms. Donovan as she said, "Oh, my God, Matt. Oh, my God."

With her stuff in hand, she walked past us to the door, and Matt turned to Caroline. "I got to .  . ."

"It's fine, just go," Caroline said.

Matt turned to Stefan, handing him a pair of keys. "Thanks, man."

Then he followed after his mother. Stefan, Elena, me and Caroline looked at Damon as he took a drink from the bottle.

I pressed my lips together and shook my head. "I need a drink."

Then I walked past them to get a drink.

~

I poured tequila in a glass when I heard Damon say behind me, "You know, my mother died of consumption. You should really cut back."

"I'm not gonna take drinking advice from a blood junkie lunatic," I said as I took a sip.

"Duly noted." I turned around as Stefan walked in, and he gave Damon a disapproving look. "Don't look at me like that."

"Are you crazy?" Stefan asked.

"Save the lecture. Look--"

Glass shattered as a vampire used vampire speed to break in, immediately going to Stefan and stabbing him with glass.

I backed away as Damon started to fight with the vampire guy.

Another vampire, this time a girl, jumped in, and she saw me. She charged and bit into my neck before I could move.

I groaned out in pain, struggling as she drank as fast as she could. "Stefan!"

Stefan rushed over with vampire speed to come up behind her, tearing her away, making her fall, and I sank weakly to the floor as he broke off a chair leg as she stood, and he staked her, killing her as she fell to the floor, already desiccating.

Damon threw the other vampire away as I put my hand to my neck to try to stop the bleeding, but it wasn't very useful, and the guy vampire looked down at the girl vampire that had just tried to kill me, and who Stefan had just killed. Stefan and Damon stood on either side of me.

The vampire ran out of the broken window.

"Damn it," Damon said as they both helped me up.

"You okay?" Stefan asked.

"Yeah," I lied, breathing heavily as Damon handed me a cloth, and I took it, holding it to my neck.

"I remember them from 1864," Stefan told Damon. "They were in the tomb."

My gaze slipped to him instantly. "What?"

If they had been in the tomb, how the hell did they get out?

"Yeah . . ." Damon trailed off. "About that."

I closed my eyes, already expecting the answer. "You've gotta be kidding me."

I didn't like the answer.