Chapter 20__Blood Brothers

Stefan was locked up because he hurt a girl at the pageant, and I was drinking a glass of water as I walked into the living room, where Damon already was, messing with an object--the device John had been looking for. Pearl had gave it to her.

"Hung over?" Damon asked, looking at the glass of water in my hand.

"Maybe just a little," I answered as I sat down.

Elena walked in behind him, noticing the device Damon was messing with. "Did you ever figure out what that is?"

"Nope," Damon answered. "Whatever it is, it doesn't work."

"Pearl didn't say anything else about it?" I asked.

"She thought she was stealing his vampire compass, but that was a pocket watch. That Johnathan Gilbert was a crazy scientist." Damon looked at Elena. "Have you spoken to your uncle lately?"

"I've been avoiding him, actually," Elena said. "That, and I've been here most nights."

"So, you'll be here again tonight?"

"Is that a problem?"

"Yes. You're a complete nuisance."

"I'd say so," I said.

"Heh," Elena said. "See you two later."

I grabbed my bag as I stood up, walking for the door and going to school.

~

"He's just being dramatic," Damon told Elena as I walked in. "He's not gonna starve himself."

"Why would he say that?" Elena asked.

"He feels bad for hurting that girl. It's very typical Stefan martyr stuff. It will pass."

"Will it? Because he seemed to be in a lot of pain."

"Yeah. Well, that will pass, too, once he eats."

"I didn't mean physical pain."

"I know what you meant."

"You guys done yet?" I asked as I sat down. I shrugged as I leaned forward. "I can probably do something."

"Yeah, get your head ripped off," Damon said. "Look, are you two gonna be okay here if I have to run out? I have to go to an errand with the teacher."

"The teacher?" I repeated. "Alaric?"

"Are you two friends now?" Elena asked.

"I don't have any friends, Elena," Damon said.

"Right."

"You guys should, um, should stay up here," Damon told us. "You shouldn't be down there by yourselves."

"We'll be fine," I said.

"You know . . . You're very trusting of him, given the circumstances," Damon told me.

"So are you," I replied. "Otherwise you wouldn't be leaving."

"I won't be long," Damon said before he walked out.

~

I'd gone downstairs, to the basement cell and looking through the barred window as Stefan said, "You know, neither you or Damon have fed me vervain in a while. I could be at those bars in a flash and you'd be dead."

"Yeah, you could," I agreed. "But you won't. That's a Damon move, not a Stefan."

"Please go away. I don't want you here."

I looked at the bottle of untouched blood on the floor and I exhaled, determined to get him to drink so he wouldn't actually die, defiant as I unlocked the door, pulling it open and walking in.

Stefan looked at me as I picked up the bottle. "What are you doing? Get out of here."

"No," I said stubbornly.

"You're taking a stupid risk. I could hurt you."

"Then I'm stupid. But then, if I'd gone into a house full of vengeful tomb vampire with no sleep and major loss of blood to save my vampire ancestors even though one killed my father, we already knew that, didn't we?" I didn't wait for an answer to the rhetorical question, holding out the bottle of animal blood to Stefan. "You need to drink this."

"Nicola, get out of here, or you'll regret it."

"Ooh, scary threat." I moved the bottle closer. "Drink."

Stefan stood, knocking the bottle out of my hands and to the floor as his face completely changed, vamping out. "I said get out!"

Did he seriously think I was scared of him?

"No," I said defiantly.

He glared, and I didn't budge, watching his features fade, returning completely human as he looked behind me and at the open door.

"I got this," Elena told me as I turned my head to look at her.

I didn't say anything, giving her a look as if to ask if she was sure, and she nodded.

If anyone could get to Stefan, it was Elena.

So I looked back at Stefan before I walked out the door.

~

And stupid Elena had to go and leave the door open and let Stefan get away.

He'd gone to actually kill himself

I stood in the living room with Damon as he poured himself a drink. "You really think Stefan's gonna kill himself?"

"Nope," Damon answered. "And to prove it . . . "

He looked behind me, and I turned around to look at Stefan and Elena as they walked in.

"Little boy lost," Damon said.

"I'll be upstairs, okay?" Elena asked Stefan.

"Okay," Stefan answered.

Elena looked at Damon, then me. "Good night, guys."

She walked out of the room as I looked at Stefan and Damon. "Don't kill each other."

Then I walked out of the room too.

They had a complicated back round that got more complicated by the second.