Chapter 22__Founder's Day

Damon walked into the living room as he asked, "If I say that I'm guessing you're not going to the Founder's Day parade, would I be wrong?"

"If I say that if someone pulled of your daylight ring in the sun you would burn to death, would I be wrong?" I replied as I turned to face him.

"Oh, come on, Nikki. Salvatore is a Founding Family, you're a Salvatore, it'd be rude to skip it."

"Oh, well, then I guess I'm rude because I've also never gone to a Founder's Party either."

Damon exhaled, rolling his head to the side. "You're pale as a ghost, and you're very Vitamin D deficient. Just go."

"Nope," I said, popping the 'p' and falling back onto the couch.

"Fine. Be a lurky, loser loner for the rest of your life. What do I care?"

"A lot more than you used to. Though, that probably has something to do with falling in love with your brother's girlfriend, so . . . "

Damon narrowed his eyes at me, then relaxed. "Ah. Saying something to hurt the other person so they would leave you alone. You think that I haven't played that trick before?"

"You think that I didn't just notice you saying what I said about Elena actually hurt you?" I replied.

He looked away, his gaze going to the side, not answering as he started to back away.

As he walked out of the door, I smirked, because I had finally won a round of snarky commentary with Damon and left him speechless.

~

I was so bored, tossing a book I had been reading to the side as I stood up from the couch I had been laying on and walking to the drink table, pouring bourbon in a glass.

I held the glass to my lips while my other hand propped me up against the table, but I didn't take a drink.

I had had so many freaking drinks just since Stefan and Damon had came to town, let alone after everything that'd happened since.

I couldn't believe I actually put the glass back down on the table without taking a drink.

Exhaling, I looked down at the table, too bored to actually do anything.

I felt caged, inside these house walls I had took too much shelter in after Damon had killed my father. I had hardly ever left other than to go to school, if I'd been kidnapped, or to go save a vampire ancestor from a tomb or a house full of angry tomb vampires.

What Damon had called me stuck in my head. Lurky, loner loser.

I needed something to do. I was restless and felt caged. Like a starved lion inside a locked cage.

Needed to get out of the cage to become un-restless.

Get out of the cage and go where?

Where did Damon asked me where I wasn't going to go?

The Founder's Day Parade.

The parade would be long over, but the event lasted all day.

I turned my head to look at my leather jacket on the couch.

I had no where else to go.

My hand slowly gripped around my car keys that were on the table, and I was still looking at my leather jacket.

Fine. I gave up.

I was going the celebration.

~