Chapter 7__Haunted

Last night, Stefan and Damon had found Vicki and brought here. They were in Stefan's room.

I, on the other hand, was in my dad's study, going through the drawers.

I had to find the lease to the house, change the name on it to just mine, to where I could keep Damon and Vicki and any other vampires out because they needed an invitation.

If I changed it from my dad's name to mine, then I wouldn't have to worry about Damon trying to kill me in my sleep, even with Stefan here.

So I was going through every drawer, every cabinet in my dad's study. Every stack of paper, every tray of paper work. I couldn't find it.

It must've been in the library then.

I walked through the halls, straight to the library and careful not to make noise as I got there, walking down the short steps, to where the documents would have been, passing by the lit fireplace.

Why was the fire place lit? Today was Halloween, not Christmas.

I looked over the books that had labels on them, and reaching for the one that said, "Housing Documents".

My dad had always been very neat on this stuff.

When I opened the book, flipping through the pages to find the lease, I saw that one of the pages had been ripped out. The top edge of where it had been was feathered neatly, trying to look natural when there should've been a full page there.

I sighed a very annoyed sigh when I realized that that was where the lease was supposed to be, and knowing that Damon had gotten there first, I could practically feel him behind me.

I turned around to face him.

He always had that stupid smirk glued to his face, and he held up a piece of paper that was typed on very professionally. "Looking for this?"

The lease.

"How'd you know I would look for it?"

He scoffed. "Please. I know you. You'd absolutely want to change the name on the lease from Zach's to yours to keep me and any other vampire out." I let out an annoyed sigh, looking down and then looking back up. "Sorry I foiled your plan."

He walked forward, down the steps, closer to the fire place. "Wait - what are you doing?" He smirked as he tossed the lease in the fire, letting it burn. "What the hell?" I demanded. "That's the only thing that says anyone lives here."

"Anyone human, yes. If there's no lease . . . Then there's technically no one living here legally. "

"Which means you just granted access to this house to every living vampire that wants to come here."

"Oops." I tilted my head back in annoyance and confusion and hate and frustration as he turned away. "Happy Halloween."

God, I hated him.

He walked up the steps and out of the library while I sighed an annoyed amd frustrated sigh, leaning against the wall next to the built in bookshelves and sliding to the floor when I heard the door bell.

They could get it. I didn't care anymore. My dad was dead and I didn't have any friends, or any actual living relatives, because Stefan and Damon were my vampire ancestors.

Why Damon didn't just kill me like he had done to my dad, I didn't know, but a couple nights ago, he said that he'd kill only one family member every 100 years.

I doubted that was the case, though. I thought it was because Stefan wanted me to stay alive, willing to go up against Damon to protect me.

I wanted Damon dead though. He'd killed my dad, of course I would want him dead.

But I was human. I couldn't kill him. Not unless I wanted to die trying.

That was actually a very tempting idea . . . .

No. I would try when I knew I had an opportunity. Maybe he didn't know about the vervain that my dad had had before Damon killed him.

Well, now that vervain was mine now. I wouldn't try so soon, because he would be expecting it, but . . . .

When, I had no clue.

But I knew that, someday, he'd end up dead.

No one was gonna kill one of my own family and get away with it.

I hadn't gone to school today, obviously, so I had a few assignments to get caught up on. I didn't know why or how I bothered with school anymore. I just did.

I was actually doing the assignments in the living room, on the couch, when I heard Stefan, Damon and Vicki in the hall behind me.

"What are you doing?" Stefan asked.

"She's been couped up in your room all day," Damon said. "She's not Anne Frank."

"No, no," Stefan said as I turned my head in that direction, Stefan blocking the door. Vicki and Damon were trying to get out. "Hey. Hey. Now's not the time for this."

"If you're gonna teach her, teach her. Show her what it's all about."

"She could hurt someone."

"I'm not taking her to Disneyland. We're going to the front yard." Damon opened the door. "Come on." He tossed me a glance, saying teasingly, "Wanna come too, Nikki?"

"Yeah, no," I said, my voice with a hard edge, turning around again to focus on my assignments while Vicki, Stefan and Damon went outside.

Since I was alone, I started to stare off into space, my eyes watering.

I missed my dad so much . . .

A tear slipped down my cheek.

A few moments later, Stefan was running in. "Vicki's gone. She took off."

"That's what you get when you listen to Damon," I said carelessly, erasing any of the last few moments by wiping the single tear away.

"Do you know where she would go?"

"Home. She was talking about it, wasn't she? Her brother Matt and maybe Elena's brother Jeremy are the only two people she's ever cared about."

"Where does she live?"

"Can't you track her?"

"It's be easier if I knew where her home is."

"But you'd move faster without me. Go. Now."

I had been left alone in the house for hours until I walked into the kitchen, making vervain tea.

A whooshing sound and vampire speed made me drop the cup onto the floor, the tea spilling as Damon pushed me against the wall by my throat. "You know about the Founders' Council, don't you?"

"What?"

"Vampire hating and hunting Founders' Council, Zach was apart of it, and you know about it."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I demanded. "Yes, I know about a Council, but I don't know anything it actually hunting anything or even that they knew." Damon slowly let go, not sure if I was lying or not. "My dad never told me about what they did. He said that he would tell me when I got older." I crossed my arms across my chest. "And, now, thanks to you, that'll never happen." Damon squinted his eyes, not saying anything. The last word I said, of course, was just as rude and hate-filled as the others before."Bye."

I pushed past him, my shoulder hitting his so I could walk away. Surprisingly, he let me, letting out an amused sound.

I hated living with vampires.

Well, one at least.