Chapter Five

Maybe A Different POV Will Be Used One Day:

(Poor Ishimaru is surrounded by dead people ;-;)

As the elevator descended we all gradually fell silent. I noticed glares aimed in my direction and was worried they changed their minds about Baegi and. led me instead Until I realized they were glaring at Naegi, who was right next to me.

Suddenly the elevator came to a halt and the door opened. One by one, everyone left the elevator. Naegi and I came out after everyone else. Naegi looked miserable, I felt bad for him.

"Personally, I don't think you're the killer." I whispered to him.

Naegi looked at me first with surprise and then with hope. A cute smile appeared on his face. "Thank you, (l/n)-san, if you can believe that I think we can change everyone else's minds!" He said hopefully.

I giggled a little and nodded. "Let's go find out who really did it." I walked with Naegi to our spots next to each other. The room looked surprisingly nice and detailed.

Monokuma explained all of the rules to the trial and we began our debate. The weapon was pretty obvious. Just like Ishimaru said, knives aren't usually kept in a person's mid-section. Now we just needed to find out who obtained it.

Asahina told everyone she was in the kitchen with Sakura last night and that they saw who took it. I backed up her statement by telling everyone I saw them when I went to get a snack.

Of course I was surprised when she said Maizono took the knife. I did see her on my way out of the kitchen, but I couldn't see why she'd want it. She fetched the weapon that would later end her life, sounds like some pretty tragic irony.

But that didn't clear Naegi's name yet. Whenever the two of us tried to point out something we'd be shut down before we could finish. When I though all hope was lost Kirigiri took control of the situation.

She pointed out how the doorknob was thrashed, and since it was a boy's room the door would be unlocked. Naegi's door was broken, and only Naegi knew how to open it. If Naegi was the culprit he could've easily walked in.

I breathed out, not realizing I was holding my breath. Now all we had to do was find Maizono's real killer. First we'd have to discuss the room situation.

"I think that the killer thought they were in Maizono's room, that's why they assumed the door was locked and broke it. Maizono's nameplate was on Naegi's door, so they'd go to Naegi's room, thinking it was Maizono's." I stated, slightly anxious about wether I was right or wrong.

Thankfully, no one objected. But we still couldn't figure out who did it and had nothing to discuss.

At least until Asahina brought up a big question. How did the killer get in? It couldn't have been by lock picking, the doors were electronic. So the only way could've been by letting them in.

Naegi couldn't believe that though, he saw how scared Maizono was that night and didn't think she'd let anyone in.

'She could easily be acting, to trick him into thinking that.' I thought calmly. I was about to say it too, but Kirigiri said what I was thinking.

She surprised all of us again when she pulled out a letter written by Maizono. She asked someone to go to 'her' room and told whoever she invited to check the nameplates. Which meant...

"D-did she try to lure someone into Naegi's room and kill them?" I asked Kirigiri nervously. I didn't like where the topic was starting to head to.

The more we talked the more true that seemed. The killer must've turned the tables on her and ended her life. But who would do that? No one could think of any more clues to help us find the killer.

"Yeah, we're fresh out of clues aren't we?" Kuwata scratched the back of his head, as if he was trying to think of something.

"No! There's still something big we haven't discussed!" I objected, now slightly excited since I remembered something important.

Kuwata looked really nervous. "W-what do ya mean b-by that?" he stuttered.

"Her dying message of course! It has to be something that points to her killer. What else would she try to write?" I explained quickly. Kirigiri and Naegi seemed curious about the message too.

"Yeah, your a geek with numbers, does anything seem special to ya?" Mondo asked Fujisaki. But she just shook her head, the numbers meant nothing in any code she knew.

I thought about it and realized something. When I looked over at Naegi it seemed like he was thinking the same thing.

"I'm guessing you've figured it out too, haven't you Naegi." I smiled a tiny bit, we found out how it happened, now we knew who did it.

Naegi nodded and turned towards everyone else. He explained the murder up to the point of when Maizono wrote down her killers name. 1-1-0-3-7, you turn that 180 degrees and you get
L-E-O-N. The name of the Ultimate Baseball Player, Leon Kuwata.

Of course he tried to play it off like it was nothing, but it was obvious. We even proved that he threw away the evidence, or at least tried to. He was really sloppy.

Surprisingly, he was still denying it so Naegi put out the final piece of evidence. The doorknob was broken with a screwdriver, so all we needed to see was his toolkit. We solved the case and after Naegi throughly explained everything we voted. At first I felt triumphant and proud we solved the case... until I realized that Kuwata was going to be executed soon. My small smile quickly turned into a frown, and then to a look of panic.

He tried to run as Monokuma pressed his gabble to a button. A chain came out of nowhere and a cuff went around his neck as he was dragged into a pole within a cage. Everyone else was in front of the cage, we were going to be forced to watch him get killed.

I was never close to Kuwata, but I still felt very upset about his death. He didn't deserve to be pelted by all those baseballs. I walked with Fujisaki and Naegi back to the elevator. Only one of us were missing, but it still felt so much emptier.

Everyone was in total silence as we went to our rooms. After waving goodnight to everyone I went into my own room and locked the door before going to my bed. I turned off the lights and stared at the ceiling, thinking of the predicament I was in.

I reluctantly fell asleep after awhile, my thoughts still on the painful execution as I drifted away into darkness.