Anger - Mello X Reader

(Requested by TinyGatsby)

A/N: Longer one this time.

"Mello, are you sure this is a good idea?" you asked nervously as he led you through the wrought iron gates at the end of the short drive in front of Wammy's House orphanage. You, Mello, and Mello's best friend Matt, were running away from the orphanage after Mello had decided it would be a good idea. That wasn't really a good excuse, but Matt tended to follow Mello blindly everywhere he went, and you cared for Mello enough that you didn't want to see him leave you behind.

You would miss the orphanage, of course, but your only hope of staying was to persuade Mello to change his mind about leaving...and that hadn't gone too well every time you had tried so far. It seemed he was determined to abandon the place he had spent his whole childhood, and he wasn't about to decide otherwise.

"Of course it's a good idea," Matt defended his friend. "It's Mello's idea."

"Yeah, well, you would say that," you muttered.

"Quit arguing," Mello snapped, pushing the gate shut with a 'clang' sound behind the three of you. "It's not too late to turn back, (F/N)."

"Who said anything about turning back?" you spat back, pushing past him. "But do you have any idea where we going to go? What if there's nowhere out there for us? We were safe at the orphanage, but we'll never be safe out here."

"If safety is all you crave then you're a coward," Mello retorted, and you glared at him. "I can't stay there," he added. "Not with him filling the place up with his superior knowledge and abilities as L's successor." His tone was angry and sarcastic, reminding you of just how much the teenage boy had hated Near, one of the candidates to succeed L now that he was dead. The other candidate was Mello himself, but after Roger Ruvie had suggested they work together on the Kira case, Mello had stormed from the room in fury and told you and Matt that he was leaving.

"Fine," you said. "Lead on, then, and you can tell us where we're going to go."

"I'll find somewhere," Mello insisted. "We're old enough to look after ourselves now, and we don't need that stupid orphanage any more. We'll be fine." He began walking, and you suspected he didn't have any clue where he was going - he was just walking, away from Wammy's House, and away from Near.

You didn't usually argue with Mello as much as you were now. The two of you had gotten on well ever since you discovered you had a common love for chocolate, and victory. You admired Mello, and listened closely to anything he said. You didn't agree with everything he told you, but you wanted to complete the Kira case as much as he did. You understood how much Mello wanted to do it before Near, and you were willing to help him achieve that goal.

You weren't sure that leaving home was the best way to start, but it was Mello's choice. You loved, and would sorely miss, the orphanage...but the feelings you admitted to yourself was your growing love for Mello had made you leave with him. Being with him was all you wanted, but he wasn't the boy he used to be. He had changed so much since you had first known him, and you weren't certain if it was this Mello you loved, or the old one, or both of them.

You sighed, following after him and Matt. Did Mello love you back? He had never shown any sign to suggest he did, but he never gave away much concerning his emotions, unless it was anger or something similar. You watched him as he fished in his pocket for something, pulling out a piece of chocolate. The sight made you smile. The old Mello had loved chocolate just as much as this one did...and really, they weren't all that different, were they? People changed, it was natural for him not to be the exact same person he once was. You had loved his gentler side when he had shown it, and the less angry version of himself - but you loved now his ambition and determination, his willingness to prove himself and fight to win. Maybe he had always been like that, and you just hadn't seen it so obviously.