For The Rest Of Your Life - Friend! Rem X Reader [AU]

(Requested by @IamIochi)

"(F/N), are you spying on that detective again?"

Your best friend's voice at your ear startled you - you had been purely focused on the work you were doing on your laptop in front of you. "I might be," you replied, your eyes remaining glued to the computer screen.

Your friend - who's name was Rem - sighed audibly. "You do realise there is no need for you to do that? I could understand your persistence to know what was happening during the Kira case, but that's over now. The killer was brought to justice, just as you wished. You do not need to spy any more."

You shrugged. "It's a hobby," you answered. "Besides, I like to know everything that's going on - when there's new cases, how much progress has been made on them, that sort of thing."

"(F/N)."

You stopped what you were doing, turning to look at Rem and meeting her yellow, one-eyed gaze. She blinked back at you. "What?" you questioned.

"You're making sure that he doesn't reappear, aren't you? And if he does, then you want to be one of the first to know about it."

So she knew what you were thinking. You nodded slowly. "I don't want him to come back, Rem," you said, your voice trembling a little on the word 'him'. You could hardly bear to think about him - Kira, that monstrous killer who had called himself the god of the new world he had been desperately trying to create. You were constantly checking the police force database to make sure no news of a reappearance had come up, and recently, you had finally been able to hack into the great detective L's computer software, allowing you to see everything - something that, as a professional hacker, had pretty much been your life's ambition.

You could vividly remember the case of Kira; the strange, anonymous character who had managed to kill people he deemed unworthy without even being present. You had been terrified of him, as had your school friend Misa Amane.

Then came that fateful day, when Misa had run into your arms at school and cried that he had found her. You had been confused, and convinced her to explain what she meant - somehow, she had stumbled across something called a Death Note; a notebook with the power to kill people with only their faces and real names. She had told you that a boy had come to visit her and explained that she had been given a great power; that he was Kira and she was going to help him cleanse the world of sin using her Death Note, along with one he owned himself. Upset and confused, Misa had refused to go along with what he was telling her to do, so he gave her a choice: either she willingly agreed to help him, or he would have to force her to. He offered her two days to make her decision before he returned.

She had admitted to you that she knew the boy called Kira - his real name was Light Yagami, and he attended a school not far from yours, where he was a high-achieving student intending to join the police like his father. She told you that she had talked to him before, and even has a crush on him, but there was no way she could ever agree to kill people like he did. You were scared for her, but she said that she had to refuse him, that there was nothing else she could do.

You had persuaded Misa to give up ownership of the Death Note to you, meaning that she wouldn't be able to go along with Light. But when Kira had returned to her, and she had revealed to him that she had given up ownership of the notebook, he had killed her. She hadn't told him who she gave the Death Note to, so you had been safe...but Misa Amane was dead, and you blamed yourself.