I Hate You Too [Part 3] - Near X Reader

"So how are you going to prove you're not a jerk, oh so great detective?" you asked Near as you sat chained to a table in the room he was working in. Near hadn't started your challenge yet - at least, you didn't think he had. If he had, then he was doing terribly so far. He was still keeping you handcuffed and someone supervised you at all times, whether it was him or one of his guard people he sometimes worked with. Despite that you were adamant that you weren't a killer, he still insisted there was a high chance you were Kira. Of course, you knew that you weren't but convincing him of that was an impossible task - it was like your own challenge, and you silently endured the frustration not being able to complete it.

"You never said that I had to specify when I would begin, or even a time at which I should start. I could leave it as long as I want," he replied.

"You kind of have to do it before you convict me of my supposed crimes," you pointed out. "Else I won't be around to see you do the challenge."

"True," he mused. "And perhaps you never will see it completed. After all, my concentration needs to be on the case, don't you think?"

You rolled your eyes. "Just how old are you, Near? You speak like you're middle-aged and think you're all wise and stuff."

He turned around, his eyes seeming to bore into you. "I'm seventeen," he said finally, after a pause. "I was thirteen when I began my work on the Kira case."

"Woah, it's been four years since you started?" you asked incredulously. You had never imagined it would have been that long. "I have to admit, I am impressed that you actually stuck with the case for that long. If I was in your position, my patience would have run out long ago."

"And that's why you're not a detective, you're a criminal," he answered.

You sunk back sulkily into the chair you were sitting on. You had tried to be pleasant with him by praising his work, and yet your attempts at a nice conversation had been rejected yet again. You were only trying to prove you weren't Kira in the only way you could think of - by being a nice person and hoping for the best. It seemed as if Near knew exactly what you were doing, though, and was determined not to let you succeed. He seemed to be trying to provoke a reaction from you, so he could use it as 'evidence'.

It struck you suddenly that Near had said he was seventeen. That was only a year older than you - more like a few months, since you were almost seventeen too - and you thought that seemed awfully young to be working on such a difficult crime case. But then, you supposed, there was no one else to take over from L - apparently - so Near had been thrown into the case.

You leaned back in the chair. "I'm tired," you mumbled. "Can I go to sleep?"

"If you want," he muttered.

"Like, in a bed? Is there one nearby?"

"No."

"Not even in any of the other rooms? There must be one somewhere."

"You're not leaving this room."

You sighed, sliding off the chair and onto the floor. "It's boring in here."

"Tough."

You sighed and looked down at your left wrist, where the handcuff gleamed annoyingly. You pulled, hoping it would slide off, but no such luck. You narrowed your eyes, and spat on your wrist - it was disgusting, but making your skin slippery might help get the handcuff off of you.