You overhear him telling the boys he's going to propose One D Preference

Harry: It's your birthday and where are you, stuck in the kitchen making dinner for Harry and the boys. The rest of the boys girlfriends' are there too but they're occupied, gossiping over their first glasses of wine. The girls quiet down momentarily and you're able to hear the boy's conversation in the living room. "I'm going to do it tonight when everything's cleared out. I just can't wait to marry her any longer." Harry says. You look over your shoulder and the girls are all grinning at you, knowing that the secret has been spilled. You hold back your smile, not wanting to ruin the moment for Harry and continue cooking even though you're exploding on the inside.

Louis: Everyone is here for dinner at Christmas, your family, Louis', and the boys. You can sense that people are watching you for the entire meal. You've just begun eating and Louis leans over as Harry whispers to him. "When are you going to do it?" Harry asks, a grin on his face. "I don't want to propose with a mouthful. It's too early anyway. I'd like some anticipation." Louis responds. You can hear people whispering to each other as they've heard to and you move your lips by Louis' ear, whispering loudly enough so everyone can listen. "You two never could whisper but yes, I will marry you." You smile, sending a kiss to his reddened cheek.

Niall: As you get Danielle ready you grow more excited for her wedding to Liam. They've been together for so long and are finally tying the knot. You head over to check that Liam is ready one last time, freezing outside the door as he and Niall are talking. "I was hoping that you'd allow me to propose to (Y/N) during the reception." Niall says. A smile creeps upon your face as Liam answers. "Of course man." You open the door and both of them jump to their feet alarmed. "Don't worry. I didn't hear a thing." You wink at Niall, kissing the corner of his mouth anyway, giving him an early answer.

Liam: You've known the night of your three year anniversary with Liam would be special. He's refused to tell you anything about where you're going, only leaving you two boxes: one with an elegant dress for you to wear and one with matching shoes. On his note he's written, (Y/N), I will be here to pick you up later. Don't wear any jewelry. You shine brighter than any diamonds in the world. You smile at his cheesiness, running out for some errands before tonight's events. When you get back to your apartment it's empty but just as you're trying on your dress, over an hour before you're supposed to leave, Liam and the boys burst through the door, unaware of your presence. "I don't know if I'll get down on one knee or not yet. That just seems a bit overrated." Liam exclaims as he walks straight to your bedroom, his mouth dropping as he's realized you've heard. "Please just act surprised." He says, blushing at his spill.

Zayn: You and Zayn haven't been dating long but you know you love him. He believes the same but has still been acting distant lately. You've talked to the other boys about the problem but no one seems to know what's going on. As you sit in your room one night, you can overhear Zayn and the boys talking. "You've been ignoring her Zayn." Niall comments. All of the boys are agreeing, talking to Zayn about his distance from you lately. Finally he can't take it anymore. "That's because I'm nervous! I'm going to ask her to marry me!" He yells back at them. Stunned and pleased, you emerge from the room, running into his arms as an acceptance of his proposal.