o n e

The first thing he noticed was that she smelt like vanilla.

He noticed it the first time she walked into the shop. The warm scent of vanilla overpowered every other smell, causing him to look up from the ice cream that he was getting for the customer he was serving.

He watched as she joined the line, behind his current customer. She looked up from the phone that she was looking at and made straight eye contact with him.

Beautiful. That was the word that came to mind when he looked at her. So beautiful that it caused him to stutter whilst serving his customer.

Handing over the ice cream that they had ordered, he said, "H-here's your order."

The customer smiled and thanked him, before walking away to sit at a table.

She was next.

"H-hi," he said quietly.

"Hello," she said, smiling. He noticed that she was looking at his name tag. "Oscar."

He smiled at how wonderful his name sounded when she said it.

"What is your order?" he asked, trying not to sound like a robot, as he sometimes did.

"Can I get a sundae?"

She asked it as if she was scared; worried that she may not be allowed.

Oscar gave her a friendly and reassuring smile. "Of course you can. Which sundae would you like?"

She bit her lip, but then smiled. "I'm not sure. I've never been here so I don't know what you serve. Could you surprise me?"

This was something Oscar has never seen before. But he knew exactly which sundae to give her.

"Sure, I'll go get a sundae for you."

He leaned down into the ice cream boxes and took out two scoops and put them in a sundae glass: strawberry and chocolate. He took out another scoop afterwards and added it into the glass: vanilla.

Because of your amazing smell, he thought to himself.

He added chocolate chips, a wafer and a cherry before handing it over to the beautiful girl in front of him.

"Thank you," she told Oscar, smiling. She picked up the sundae and walked over to a table.