t h r e e

The third thing he noticed was the way her eyes sparked when she laughed.

Rosette walked in at the same time the next day, but this time, it was Oscar's mother who was working. Oscar was, however, sat at a table, enjoying not working, and he listened as Rosette asked for her usual sundae.

Oscar's mother winked at him as Rosette walked over to him, and he rolled his eyes, but smiled.

"Hey O," she said and Oscar laughed.

"O?" he repeated, but he was still laughing.

Rosette smiled. Her eyes sparkled as she laughed too. "Well, seeing as we're besties now, I felt I needed a nickname for you." She winked as she added, "You can call me R if you'd like."

Oscar nodded. He liked the way that Rosette was not afraid to say things like that, especially to a shop worker that she only met two days ago.

"You know Oscar," she started, "I'm glad your my friend. Even if you are just an average ice cream shop worker."

"Being called average is a compliment when it comes from you," Oscar told her, not wanting to sound flirty, just being truthful.

"Are you trying to compliment me?" Rosette raised an eyebrow but she smiled.

"Just telling the truth."

Oscar liked the way that Rosette accepted him. A few days ago, they'd never met each other and now, here they were, having this conversation.

"You're sweet, aren't you?" Rosette laughed. "Just like your ice cream."

She winked and scooped a spoonful of her ice cream. She smiled as she started to eat it.

"Mmm," she said happily, and Oscar laughed. "O, tell me your family's recipe because damn, this is so good."

Oscar laughed again. He sighed and told her that the recipe had to be kept secret, and even he didn't know how his parents made the ice cream.

"Darn it, that's a shame. Oh well, I'll just have to believe that it's magic," Rosette decided.

About ten minutes later, Rosette admitted that she would have to go.

"I have to go meet my friend. We're going shopping," she told Oscar.

"Oh that's fine. Have a good time," Oscar replied, smiling.

Rosette was about to leave when she turned around as if she just remembered something. She took a pen out of her bag and started to write something on a napkin.

"Hey, O," she said, handing him the napkin, which had a number on it. "Call me."