f i v e

Oscar watched the clock as it ticked from twelve-fifty-nine to one o'clock.

Rosette should be in the shop now. But she wasn't. Oscar knew that he shouldn't get too worried, maybe something had come up or she just didn't feel like coming today, but he got scared anyway.

She had been fine yesterday. After their kiss, they spent the rest of the day together, until Rosette had to go home and study for school.

He'd called her that night and everything was perfect. Rosette hadn't shown any signs of anything wrong; or at least he hadn't been able to tell.

Eventually, Oscar had to leave the shop and go home; he couldn't wait at the shop all night to see if Rosette was going to turn up.

Later that night, Oscar got a phone call. It was from Rosette's number, but the voice belonged to someone else.

She said she was Rosette's sister. But the real message that she was giving to Oscar was something that he didn't want to hear.

Rosette had gotten hit by a car. By the time she had gotten rushed to the hospital, she was already dead.

"I had to let you know," her sister said. "Your name in her phone is 'The One I Love', so I reckoned you were important. I'm so sorry."

Oscar's heart had crushed in two.

Rosette wasn't alive anymore.