eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN - HAILEY ALLEN

Mom's eyes haven't left the back of the door since Brody left almost ten seconds ago. "Wow, he was something to look at," she comments before finally tearing her eyes away and looks at Dad. "Hon, I think you need to go to the gym more. The bar has just been raised and your little belly there isn't close."

He just rolls his eyes. "Then you should probably find yourself a new husband because it's physically impossible for me to get a body like that. He's in his early twenties and an athlete. I'm in my late forties and a banker. It's not going to happen."

I let out a groan and bury my face in my hands. I can't believe I'm witnessing this conversation. My mother is ridiculous, so openly checking out Brody. "Mom, come on!"

"What? That boy is hot with a capital 'H,'" she swoons, sitting back down on the couch. Clearly, Brody's abs are getting to her a little too much.

"Exactly. Boy," I reply. "It's wrong on so many levels."

"You can't tell me you don't think he's hot. Hails, he's the definition of the word," she insists with some stupid smile on her face.

I shake my head and pick up both mine and Brody's plates from last night that we didn't clear away. "I'm not discussing how hot my friend is with you."

"He's totally more than a friend," she says, giving me a pointed glare. I don't answer her as I head back into the kitchen, my eyes landing on the spot that Brody had me pushed against last night. My cheeks feel slightly warmer as I begin to run the hot water to wash up as our glasses and things are still sitting in the sink.

Thankfully, Mom remains in the living room as I clean up. As soon as I go back through and collapse onto the couch, she's back on my case.

"So, are you going to tell me what's going on between you two yet?" Mom asks me curiously and I honestly don't know what to tell her. Do I tell her that we spent a significant portion of yesterday kissing? No, of course not. Do I tell her we're dating? That it's casual?

In the end, I just settle on the truth. "Mom, we're friends."

She shakes her head. "Honey, I hate to break it to you, but friends don't look at each other the way you two do. Yes, you might be friends right now, but I know that sometime in the future, you're going to be more."

Thankfully, Dad then stands up, ending the conversation there. "Well, then, I guess I should go and scare him away if that's the case."

"Please don't," I blurt out. "Coach Jenkins won't be happy with you crashing. He's ridiculously hard on them all."

"I think I can deal with a college hockey coach," he scoffs before shrugging on his jacket. "I'll see you two later." And with that, he disappears out the door.

Instantly, I grab my phone and fire off a text to Brody, warning him of what is about to come. I'm not sure he's going to be able to read it, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

"Hails, I just saw your dad leaving. Is your mom around? I saw them earlier but I didn't think they'd be here so early," I hear Naomi's voice echo throughout the room.

As soon as she steps into the living room, I grab her hand and pull her into my room, shutting the door behind me. "What's going on?" She asks me, a perfect eyebrow raised in confusion.

"Don't mention anything to either of my parents about Brody. As far as they're aware, we're friends and nothing else. The kiss didn't happen, okay?" I tell her in hushed tones.

She nods. "Brody and Hailey are friends, nothing more. Got it."

"Perfect," I say with a smile before we both head back into the living room, sitting on the couch. Mom looks between us, obviously trying to get a read on whatever we were just saying to each other.