twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - BRODY MILLER

Waking up with Hailey in my arms is something that I'll never take for granted ever again.

As my eyes peel open, hers are still shut, her breathing still heavy. I tighten the arm I've got wrapped around her waist and start trailing soft kisses up from the bottom of her neck, up her jaw, and to her lips. Once I press a kiss to her lips, a small murmur of a moan escapes her, and fuck me if it isn't one of the hottest things I've heard.

Close behind her muffled moans as she came apart on my fingers and tongue yesterday.

Slowly, her eyes flutter open and she smiles at me, trailing a finger along my jaw. "Morning. I missed seeing you in the morning."

Leaning forward, I rest my forehead on hers. "Yeah, me too."

I kiss her softly again but she pulls away. "Morning breath," she sighs like we haven't spent plenty of mornings together before.

I just roll my eyes at her. "Babe, we both have morning breath. Just kiss me."

With an eye roll and a smile, she finally does just that and presses her lips to mine. I grip her hip tighter as she places a hand on the side of my face, leaning further into the kiss. When she opens her mouth slightly, I decide to tease her for a little bit, only letting my tongue touch hers slightly before retreating with a smug grin.

"Hailey Jayne Allen," her mom's voice rings out around the house. Oh, shit. "Brody better not be in there with you!"

With a frustrated groan that I almost mimic because, after yesterday, I can't help but want more of her, Hailey pushes me away slightly as she turns her head towards the closed door.

"Yeah, he's just saying morning before he goes out for a run," She shouts in response.

"His bed doesn't look slept in," she replies and I don't try to hide my panic. Why didn't I rough up the sheets before coming through here last night? What a rookie fucking mistake. I know that if I'm found in here, then I'm out of this house quicker than the speed of light.

Hailey takes a deep breath before answering. "He's a firm believer that all beds should be left how they were found. Apparently, it's a crime to leave a bed unmade."

I raise an eyebrow at her in both disbelief and questioning. She just kisses me softly as we hear the footsteps retreat down the stairs after a "Well, morning, Brody," comes from the other side of the door.

"You do realize that your Mom isn't stupid?" I murmur, pulling the sheets back up. "She knows fine well that I slept in here."

Hailey just shrugs. "She won't tell Dad and that's the main thing. Now, go for that run I know you're itching to go on. I'll be here when you get back."

I give her a quick peck on the lips before I disappear out of her room and back into the spare one where Tyler and Aaron are sitting, talking about shit.

"How was your sleepover?" Tyler smirks at me.

"Great," I answer briefly as I grab a pair of shorts and a tee out of my bag. I haven't done any exercise in three days and I hate the feeling of laziness that's currently coursing through my veins. I want nothing more than to curl up in bed with the girl I love and watch TV all day but I'm a professional hockey player now. I won't be helping to win any Stanley Cup with that mentality.

I get changed, ignoring the chill spreading all over me. I'll be sweating in a moment.

Five minutes later, music is blaring in my ears and I'm running through Hailey's suburban neighborhood with a smile. This is a place where the American Dream comes true and not for the first time, I want that with Hailey by my side.