6 | Aas Paas Khuda

If you had to ask any of the aunties they wouldn't agree that Ishita had married and was a mother to a daughter. The girl they had known was the one who depended on Subbu for practically everything; it was Subbu get me this; oh, Subbu will get me that; why Subbu can do that for me; Subbu, I can't understand this. The girl who was totally dependant on Subbu had moved on? They had refused to accept that that. Did Subbu really leave or was it the opposite, after all when asked Ishita's daughter claimed that her parents had a love marriage? Was there another story behind all together? Had Ishita fallen for a different guy? The story did fit, Ishita had broken up with Subbu, attended his wedding, walked a way from their community and now shown up seven years later with an almost five year old daughter. If Mrs. K, the residential observer was to he asked, Subbu was heartbroken at his wedding she concluded. Ishita had changed, the girl who forever wore chudidars and refused to change with the flow of fashion now backless blouses. The girl who once chose to wear clothes based on the "emotions" and vibe; the girl who either left her hair open or in a ponytail had now learnt to style them to perfection. A fashion Institute student who was a party could have sworn that the Ishita that was so talked about wore nothing but designer outfits from the minute she entered the venue, little did this student or aunties know that Ishita still wore clothes based on their value in her life rather than the price market, and most of the outfits she owned were either gifted by her Saddu Kumar or chosen by her daughter - shopping was after all the mini Bhalla family's family time moment, especially for Ruhi and her Ishima. Ruhi loved it when her mother modelled for her and secretly, so did her papa - though he criticized Ishita.

"Ishita!"

"Ragini!"

"What are you doing here? It's been so long since I have seen you. We need to have one of those double dates again. Look at us, we're so busy."

Ishita laughed as she looked at her bestfriend, over the few months that Ishita had met Ragini, she felt like she had met her soul sister. Ragini was the person Ishita could relate to who had once been in same situation that she was in. Ishita couldn't just only related to, admire and be happy for Ragini but she could connect to her on so many levels and thus they had been best friends for a while, just like their daughters Ruhi and Tammy.

"Aap janti hai usse?" Subbu's mother-in-law inquired.

"Ishita ko? Hum maa beti ka joda ek doosre ke best friends hai."

"Haan nahi toh." Ishita laughed. "But seriously, aapka yaha aana kaise hua?"

"Mere close friend ka wedding."

"Mere bhai ka."

"Ruhi aayi hui hai? Tammy ko mat batana. Let's surprise them. Maine Ruhi ki papa ko school ke office mein dekha tha? Leave application ke saath."

"Really. I'm here for the past week or so. Mujhe toh kuch pata hi nahi. Bas itna pata hai ki Ruhi ne kuch seniors ko pitaya hai."

"Pata hai, Tammy ghar aake keh rahi thi ki iss saal ke baad ex extra rakhi bana lete hai, toh maine puch kyun and she was like Ruhi aur usne decide kiya hai ki woh aaj ke bad ek doosre ko protect karenge." Ragini laughed.

"Aww. Mera baccha." Ishita aaw'ed at her daughter.

"Waise, yeh Baap-Beti ne gift kiye collection mein se hai?"

"Yes. Noticeable hai?"

"Ji, aapki smile joh itni chamak rahi," Ragini exclaimed as she clashed her shoulder against Ishita's.

"Di, aap bhi. What is this? Har koi cheez leta hai. Chalo ek photo ho jaye taaki mein Anmol ji ko bata sakti ki mere paas tum bhi ho."

"Sure."