17 VIII | Dheere Jalna

Chhoti chhoti baatein, yun hi aate jaate

Yaadein sehlaake jaati hai.

Raaton ko sirhaane, baasi muskaane

Mujhko sulaake jaati hai.

Milna nahi hai mumkin, itna batao lekin

Hum phir mile kyun hai?

Tujhko bula naa paaun

Tujhko bhula naa paaun

Yeh silsilein kyun hai?

[Every now n then, tid-bits of your memories,

caresses my senses.

At nights, the smile that we shared

helps me fall into sleep.

Being together is impossible, but tell me this

why did we meet to begin with?

I can't call you

I am not able to forget you

Why does this keep happening?]

"Dadi, sabka prince charming hota ha. I'll find mine. He has to be there. He'll come and he'll fix everything," said a five year old Ishita hooked up to various needles during her stay at the hospital fighting back tears as her grandmother hugged her.

"Of course, and when he finds you. He'll never let you go. He'll kiss you just like this and then it will all disappear, everything will feel like magic," said Ishita's grandmother as she placed feathery kisses.

"Ishu needs no prince charming, I'm here," said a younger version of Vishwa as he flung his school bag across Ishita's alloted room. Loosening his tie Vishwa held Ishita in his arms. Taking her in his arms he whispered all aboutbhis day in school to her, tickling her as he did. Her soft giggles and Vishwa's presence reassured Paati that everything would be fine as she left the two to their own devices. As Vishwa tutored Ishita on the notes he had picked up for her on his way home as they fed themselves on the bland food Ishita was prescribed to eat.

And years later when the elders teased Ishita on her upcoming nuptials, she rolled her eyes.

And when a certain prince charming was mentioned instead of blushing she smiled and locked her arms around a mourning Vishwa saying, "Mera Prince Charming toh yahi here. In my arms. Aur kaunsa ka prince charming?"

The elders had laughed it off as a joke. Vishwa held Ishita in his arms as he placed a light peck on her forehead. Ishita was more than his princess to him. Being almost a decade older to Ishita, Ishita was more like his first child to him. And Vishwa was lost losing his wife and now handing over his Ishu to a guy he never liked. So he held Ishita closer to him, locking her in his embrace. If it wasn't Subbu's parents rushing the marriage. And Ishita's parents agreeing to it. Ishita almost had no say in it. It was assumed that she wanted the same. And Vishwa was too scared to ask Ishita how she felt. He was afraid that the strong face she put up would falter for a second and that he would ruin it all.

He should have. He should've asked her about her opinion before without fearing the consequences the moment he felt the uncertainty in her eyes.

And now as he watched his baby with the man she'd returned home with his heart felt at peace. As he placed his chin on his grandmother's shoulder he found himself smiling. Grinning.

There stood his Ruhi glaring at Shravan. They stood in the middle of the dance floor, arm in arm as Ruhi tried to imitate her parents. With Ruhi ordering and Shravan glaring, Vishwa found himself bursting into laughter. How did he miss four years of this? Of Ruhi and Shravan growing up? We're they the same when they met? And it reminded him of his younger days. Ishita's first dance, as she clung to him as if her life depended on it and him reassuring her that it would be okay. It had taken half the night and a very scared Ishita in stilettos to overcome half her fears. And she still clung to him for their last dance.