Chapter 9

Cenia pulls me back to my feet.

"I know it's hard, Rue. But you have to do the interviews now," she says. I nod, and wipe my face, probably smudging the makeup there.

Sariah quickly comes in and fixes my crumpled dress and ruined makeup, without complaint.

"Best of luck to you, Rue," I barely manage a smile back.

Cenia takes me down to the room where I'll wait for my interviews. I have Districts 1 - 10 to regain my thoughts. It flies by, way too fast.

And suddenly Ceasar is calling my name and my legs are walking, taking me up and he smiles and welcomes me and I smile back and the crowd is cheering, too loud and --

"Oh, Rue, here is our little Rue! How are you tonight?" He asks.

"I'm fine," I say, forcing a smile. "It's wonderful, here in the Capitol."

"Yes it is, definitely! What would you say is your favorite thing here?"

Oh. My favorite thing? Aryn's face flashes through my mind.

"I have to say the clothes," I admit honestly. "I mean, look at all the amazing outfits! Especially this dress."

"Yes, it's beautiful! Your stylist did wonderfully," he says. "Now, about that training score . . . a seven, for such a little girl? How on earth did you do that?"

I shrug. "A cute smile, just like this one." I flash a huge smile to the crowd, and laughter and cheering echoes back. Ceasar lets out a hearty laugh. 

"Oh yes, I'm sure you did! The Gamemakers have to give you a big score for that one," he says. "What do you think you're greatest strength in the arena will be?"

I don't even hesitate. "I'm very hard to catch. And if they can't catch me, they can't kill me. So don't count me out."

"I wouldn't in a million years," Ceaser says encouragingly. The buzzer right next to him goes off.  "It looks like our time is up, the best of luck to you, Rue Findon." I exit the stage, and Thresh, towering over me, passes by. 

I'm still in shock from the interview, that I maybe didn't completely fail.

Thresh's interview is more bland, him answering with a simple 'yes' or'no' to every question. He looks very intimidating, even in a fancy suit.

Then it's Katniss's turn, and she looks beautiful, captivating the audience as soon as they see her. She's wearing a beautiful orange and red dress, I can only think 'fire' when I see it.

"So, Katniss, the Capitol must be quite a change from District 12. What's impressed you the most since you arrived here?"

Katniss's face goes pale. After a second, she blurts: "The lamb stew."