Chapter 12

The Career's attack was the only thing that happened for two days. I spend the rest of the second day collecting food and making a small shelter. The snares I attempt to make aren't very successful, but I do catch a poor little rabbit that stumbled upon it.

Day number two and three pass peacefully. It's not until day number four it happens -- the fire.

The flames are twice, maybe three times my height. It licks the trees, welcoming them into its warm embrace. 

I quickly pack up my things. I made my shelter on the ground, and I'm forced to leave it behind. 

The fire is catching up quickly, my feet are stumbling over tree roots and bushes. I'm not used to this kind of territory. I find myself at the river I had started at, but I hesitate to stop there. Is this fire going to cross the river?

I stand on the edge of the river, watching for signs of the fire moving closer to me. I'm ready to jump in the river when the fire stops, and disappears as quickly as it came. The only signs of a fire is a gray smoke, fogging the air.

I whip around to the sound of laughter. There's only a few people that would be bold enough to make that much noise, and I know exactly who it is. Diving down, I squeeze into a tiny cove under the river bank, with just enough air to breathe. I'm holding my breath anyway, so why does it matter?

I'm praying whole-heartedly that the Careers won't see me, mostly concealed under a patch of moss, and they don't. They're too focused on their target, down the stream. I'm not sure what it is, and I'm sure glad I'm not their target.

They pass, and I pull myself out, peering down the stream. I have the quick sensation of being safe, but I push it away quickly. How can I be safe, in this arena?

I slowly crawl up the bank to the hot, inviting sun. My entire body is wet, including my backpack, but it'll dry. In curiosity, I head in the direction the Careers came from. After a half hour of walking, I see their base, and the glint of the Cornicopia. The lake shimmers nearby, about 40 yards away.

In between my spot and the lake, I get a glance of a make-shift shelter, and a huge pile of . . . what could be anything, really. I'm tempted to dive out of the bushes and check it out, but my gut tells me not too. Probably smart. The District 3 boy stands up, and brushes off his hands. I didn't see him there, I was too fixated on the pile.

I climb a tree, to try and get a better look. I must have rustled the leaves far too much, and the boy whips around, holding a spear. I fly up the tree, and hop to a slender branch on the next. It sags under my weight, and I quickly make my way to the trunk.

The boy passes it off, maybe as an animal, and it's all I can do not to breathe a sigh of relief. I was literally a few feet from what could have been my death.

A noise, a shout, fills my ears, and I head towards it, ignoring my gut feeling. I recognize the voices, and coming closer, I realize it's the Careers.

They stand at the bottom of a tree, yelling taunts up at it. I'm beginning to wonder why they're insulting a tree when I see an arrow fly, and a hand pull it out of the tree. It's Katniss.

She climbs futher up the tree as the Careers try to climb it. The combination of their weight, weapons, and complete lack of skill keeps them from going far, however.

The Careers murmur together for a moment, and one begins gathering kindling for a fire. The others settle down, pulling out provisions. Is that what was in that pile?

Katniss also finds a branch to settle onto, and she pulls a sleeping bag out of her backpack. I watch carefully as she belts herself to the tree, seems almost settled, then she cuts a huge gash in the bag, hanging her thigh out. Even in the fading light, I can tell it's burned.

Above her head, I hear a faint buzzing. I tilt my head, and I know what it is. A huge tracker jacker nest, the bugs - well, better known as muttations - buzz around lazily.

I debate trying to get Katniss' attention, not wanting to draw attention to myself from the Careers. But this nest could be a weapon, if used correctly.

"Katniss," I whisper, barely making any noise. She looks startled for a second, but meets my eyes as I point upward. She glances up, and the fear on my face reflects mine. She knows what they are.

I slip back in my tree, feeling a little better about what I've done. I eat a handful of berries, and a handful of nuts I discovered in a bush. A sip of water, and I'm starting to feel refreshed physically.

Doubt for tomorrow and fear enter my head, and I push them out. Best not to think about it, yet.

I've fallen into a light sleep when I hear the hushed syllable, murmured by Katniss: "Rue!"

She points at the nest, and demonstrates a sawing motion. I smile lightly, because I know what she's going to do.