Chapter One-Ralphie Glick-1975-(I)

I

Ralphie Glick was dead.

He had been sacrificed by the Kurt Barlow, the Master.

Blood gushed all over his body, like Doc, the dog on the Marsten House's black colored cemetery gates; blood that gushed all over the vomit filled, tainted dirt in 'Salem's Lot.

~~~

II

Marjorie Glick, 28, was beyond crying; she was catatonic.

III

Tony Glick, 29, suffered.

"They were not supposed to be in the woods".

"Hello, is Danny and Ralphie at Mark Petrie's house, Mrs Petrie?".

"No".

"Why did they ignore us?".

"There was talk Ralphie mentioned monsters in the woods".

"Stupid horror movie junk he watches...rubbed off on Danny...he was scared".

"Shit!".

~~~

IV

Kurt Barlow watched Larry Crockett.

He had had more plans for him.

And he knew Richard Straker was doing his job, (since their antiques business was flourishing), his pale face gleamed in the darkness of the Marsten House...even though it was 80 degrees outside in 'Salem's Lot.

V

Ben Mears was at Eva Miller's house.

He now stood at the edge of the precipice...and begun to scream.

VI

Mark Petrie was deciding whether he wanted everyone to die. It wasn't a conscious decision. It was something that had had to be done.

Because the town was dying.

And soon the dead shall be risen from their graves, he thought to himself...and shivered.

VII

Parkins Gillespie stared at the antiques store.

He went inside.

He saw no one.

"Hello?".

He noticed three Grandfather clocks; three Swiss watches in a huge, glass case; four rifles from the US Civil War on the walls; execution guillotines; gothic black colored candles, (some red colored); and framed paintings of Hubie Marsten and his family.

Parkins shivered.

And then he heard a creaking noise coming from downstairs in the cellar...and he grabbed his .38 Smith & Wesson gun, cocked it in his right hand, and headed into the darkness.

VIII

Mike Ryerson was working on The Plan of Escape from 'Salem's Lot, when he heard a noise. He looked to the left; then to the right.

And then Kurt Barlow took him in the darkness when the night arrived.

~~~

IX

Floyd Tibbits was pissed off.

"What the hell is Susan doing with him?".

"Floyd, you know that you could marry my daughter. But Susan's infatuated with 'Air Dance', that adult book that Ben Mears wrote. Can you do something?", Anne Norton was agitated.

"Yeah, I'll break his neck", and he hung up the telephone.

X

Ben Mears was walking down the street off Jointner Avenue when Floyd smashed his mouth with his right fist...

...And kicked him in the chest with his brown boots.

XI

Susan Norton screamed.

"Floyd did it!", and she told Parkins Gillespie to arrest her ex-boyfriend.

XII

Hal Griffen, 18, was also pissed off.

He stomped on the hay of their farm just outside 'Salem's Lot.

"Hey, what're we gonna do for the summer?".

"I don't give a shit! Besides, I'd rather have sex with Susan Norton".

"You wish! She's with Ben Mears, that writer".

"Trust her to have the famous guys", Hal sulked, as he and his brother Jack, 14, milked cows until they were so bored...they wanted out of the place forever.

XIII

"I don't know, Larry".

"It's funny".

"What's funny?".

"The job".

"You do that job; I do the taxes".

"OK, but if you're doing anything untoward, I'll tell Parkins".

"Look Hank, nothing is happening. Now, do we have a deal?".

"Yes", Hank Peters smiled, as Larry gave him $4,000, "...give some to Royal".

"Yes, boss!", he took the corrupt money...then left the Office with a huge grin on his face.

XIV

Mabel saw the dark boarded up windows of The Marsten House. She noticed a strange man taking Ralphie Glick into the cellars.

She grabbed the telephone, and called the police.

XV

Grover Verrill and Mickey Sylvester were at Eva Miller's house.

"Hey,  Eva, got some beer?".

"Help yourself".

"Fine, where's Floyd?".

"In jail for kicking the shit out of writer Ben Mears. It was Ann Norton's fault for thinking Floyd was marrying Susan".

"She's caught up in her own daughter's love life that her husband hasn't had sex for years".

"How do you know?".

"I know she's emotionally cruel".

"No wonder Susan wants to leave 'Salem's Lot once Ben finishes his novel on The Marsten House", Mickey told everyone, as he grabbed two beers from Eva's fridge.

"I don't think she should go out with a man whose past is full of torment", Eva informed them. And they knew she was right.

XVI

Floyd simmered in the jail cell.

There was a simple bed; a single window; and rotten grey colored blankets.

A gust of wind blew outside.

Suddenly he heard footsteps.

And when he saw The Master, he blinked his eyes.

And he screamed as Kurt Barlow went through the cells, and bit him on the neck with its sharp, bloody fangs.

XVII

The Marsten House's lights were on.

Marjorie Glick prayed to God. But, as she did so, the huge crucifix that was in her bedroom wall, cracked apart.

Page 2