Chapter Eight-'Salem's Lot-1975

I

The Marsten House dragged everyone inside its darkness.

The bright lights illumed the front of the porch.

Ben Mears ignored the pain in his stomach.

He felt the breeze of the wind cut into his face.

He then saw Ann Norton covered in blood...

...As she fell to the dusty ground...and died.

II

Matthew rushed to the body.

"She dead. Look, bite marks!".

"ANNE!", Tony Glick yelled, as he cursed the house nearby...and cried as he knew his whole family was gone.

III

Ben stared at the house.

He wondered if the deaths were blamed on him.

It was because of going  into Hubie Marsten's house in '51.

That was due the fact that he wanted to be cool like Marlon Brando in 'A Streetcar named Desire'; that, and the fact that he went inside alone.

And when he saw him hanging in the cellar of The Marsten House...and opened his red colored eyes...and hissed at the boy...Ben Mears screamed so much...that he fled the house...And believed that Vampires did exist not in his mind, but in real life.

Ben headed to Matthew's house.

A hot breeze gusted from nowhere.

He went inside.

"Matthew!", he noticed the front door was open.

He went in.

Matthew was shivering.

"He's in here. Upstairs".

And he followed the old Doctor to the last bedroom to the right.

The door that was hellishly hot.

In the room Mike Ryerson was swinging on the chair.

He was pale.

"Jesus!", Ben swallowed.

He grabbed a crucifix.

"Look at me; look at me! Look at me. Do I follow the Lord of the Flies?; Do I reek of the Earth?; Do I summon the Flies because He summons us", it intoned.

Its red colored eyes focused on them.

"Who do you serve?", Ben Mears enquired.

"The Master".

It moved off the chair.

"Who is The Master?".

"Kurt Barlow".

"Where is Kurt Barlow?; Where is Richard Straker, his associate?".

"New York".

"Thank you", Ben Mears rammed the crucifix into its forehead.

It backed away.

Ben rammed the crucifix into its chest...And forehead.

Blood gushed like a geyser.

"YOU DARE HURT ME! THE MASTER KNOWS WHAT YOU KNOW!".

"And as I go unto the Valley of the Dead, I shall fear no evil. Give me a hammer, Matt". And when he gave it to the writer, Ben Mears rammed it into its chest several more times.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!", it yelled.

More blood gushed out of its chest, and rotting mouth. Then it smashed through the door...and headed into the darkness...and died outside The Marsten House nearby. 

IV

"Hubie Marsten's sister was Birdie. She wasn't his wife. That's a common error. He was a gangster. He murdered people for the Mob; he was also involved in the Occult. When the crimes he committed didn't give him a thrill, he decided to steal boys and girls to sacrifice to the Vampires of 'Salem's Lot; Hubie Marsten sacrificed a lot of them to The Master.

"Of course, it hadn't had a name yet. And now we do: Kurt Barlow. He is to be feared, Ben. And so is Richard Straker, his boyfriend".

"Homosexual vampires".

"Vampires are asexual. They pick and chose their lovers. The Countess Erzebet Bathory murdered servant girls, and some village girls, in 16th Century Hungary, because she was Royal; she was a Bathory; she was in a position of power. She bathed in the girls' blood in a bath because she believed in Eternal Youth; she was the first serial killer.

"Straker and Barlow are like Stoker's Vampire 'Dracula' from 1897. Now, as we know, the locals are turned at a fast rate, Ben. They must die; Straker and Barlow must also die; everyone must die". Matt insisted.

And Ben Mears nodded, and they prayed for dawn to come.

Page 9