Visits to Ohio

Cathy's pov
"Natalie?" I smooth out my dress and lean against her doorframe, "are you coming to Ohio with me, or staying with your Dad?" She gives me a look as she pulls a suitcase onto her bed, "I'm coming with you, duh. That way I get time off school and I get to work on my business idea." I giggle as she goes on about being an entrepreneur. I tell her how long she has to get ready before I walk back to my room. As I enter the room I see Jamie sitting on the bed smiling up at me. I walk over to him and feel his hands grip onto my waist. I giggle, looking down at him, "hello." He smiles a bit and pulls something out from behind his back. My eyes go wide as I carefully open the wrapped present. A beautiful locket is laying inside the tiny box. The silver heart has an intricate vine engraved in the bottom left quarter of the heart, "Jamie." I whisper quietly as I open the heart to find two photos inside. The first is the one that Natalie took of us at Disneyland and the second is a photo of Natalie and I when she was born. A small tear runs down my cheek as I look back at Jamie. I hug him tight, "I love you." I feel him smile as he turns me around and puts the chain around my neck.

Natalie's pov
"Mum? Are you ready to go yet?" I wheel my small suitcase out to the front door. I check my outfit in the mirror while I wait for a reply. A blue skirt and a white blouse. I shrug as I hear my mother coming around the corner. "Ready, let's go" I smile as we both wheel our luggage out to the car.

I step out of the car and feel the Ohio wind in my hair. I turn around and grin at my Mum, "when's your audition?" She sighs as she grabs our bags out of the back, "tomorrow? Let's get some milkshakes and ice cream!" I laugh at my mothers childishness and follow her into the place where we are staying. Mum opens the door to our hotel room and I grin as I run through the room to find my bed I quickly rip open my suitcase and start putting all my clothes and things away before walking back out to the entryway to wait for mum. Soon enough she's ready and we head out to get ice cream and milkshakes.

I sigh as I take another sip of my chocolate milkshake, "you aren't happy are you Mum?" She looks up at me, surprised as she strings a very fake smile onto her face, "yeah, why wouldn't I be happy?" She laughs a little and I roll my eyes and give her a look, "seriously Mum, what's up?" She sighs and looks down at her ice cream pushing it around with her spoon, "I'm sick of having to come to Ohio. I thought that by now I'd be on broadway, making heaps of money. I feel like I'm not doing anything for our family." A small tear slips down her cheek, she never cries in front of me. I give a small, sympathetic smile to my mother before darting around the table and hugging her tight, "you are the glue of our family. You are perfect, I love you no matter what. Whether you're performing in Ohio or in New York, I'm so very proud of you." She laughs through her tears and hugs me back, "thank you, princess." I look up at her and give her a smile before resting my head back on her shoulder.

"Nat? Are you coming to my audition?" I flutter my eyes open, the bright light causing me to close them as soon as they'd opened, "I-uh yeah." I quickly pull on my little red dress and brush my hair before meeting my mum at the front door, "breakfast first?" She nods as she gives me a small hug, "definitely, I'm starving." We laugh as we head down to the car. I munch down some of my waffles as I watch my mother push her food around with her fork, "nervous?" She looks up and chuckles anxiously, "oh yeah. I'm terrified." I smile at her, "Mum, you'll be fine. You are the most talented person I know!" She laughs loudly before fiddling with her locket, "I'm trying to be serious and supportive here!" I giggle. We laugh together and for once my mother looks like she's really happy. I often wonder what's going on in her mind. Our laughing is interupted with the alarm from her phone. She gasps, nervous, "it's time." She squeals as we rush out of the little resteraunt.

We wait for hours, standing in a long line of girls who are all wearing dresses that look just like my mothers. I'm sketching some idea's for my future business when Mum's number is called. I quickly sneak up to the lady in charge and ask if I can watch from the wings. She gives me a warm smile and leads me through to watch. Mum stands there and sings. Her voice is that of an angel, she looks beautiful with her hair falling in loose curls around her shoulders. I grin as she finishes and can't help but clap loudly. She looks over at me, shocked but grins and gives me a teasing look. The men thank her and tell her that they'll keep in touch. I hug her as she enters the wing, "you were brilliant!" I smile into her shoulder. "What are you doing in the wing, cheeky?" I giggle as I hear the lady in charge walk up behind us, "it's alright, Mrs. Heit, I let her watch." Mum gushes out thank yous and apologies as she practically pushes me out the door.

Okay! Sorry it's been AGES since I've updated. I'll try to work on this story more often but I can't make any promises cause senior year is SUPER stressful. Thank you so much for reading and I hope you're having a wonderful day/night/life :) xx H