Chapter 9: Meeting The Others

I looked over at the clock on the nightstand. It said 4:55. All of a sudden I heard a knock on my door. So I put my coat on, put my long purse strap around my shoulder, and opened the door. Paul was standing right there.

     I greeted him with a little smile as I opened the door and he smiled back. Then I said, "Hi," as I began to step towards him and as I was closing the door.

     "Hello Clara." He replied. We hugged for a second and I stood on my tippy toes as he gave me a quick peck on the cheek. Then we began to walk closely next to each other down the hallway to Brian Epstein's suite.

     Paul turned to me as we were walking and I looked up at him. "Well you look pretty," he commented with a smile.

     I returned the smile and replied, "Thank you Paul." His comment made me feel great. "So, is there anything you need to notify me about before I walk in the suite with you?" I asked. 

     "Yes. Just to warn you, there is going to be a few more people in Brian's suite than just the four Beatles," he answered.

     I gasped and grabbed Paul's arm after he had said that. Then I began to say, "Paul. I'm nervous. What if they -"

     "Don't you worry about it. Everyone there knows that you are coming." He responded. "I'll introduce you to everyone, Clara."

     He looked down into my eyes and smiled at me. I smiled in reply and he gave me a quick kiss on the forehead. That kiss just made all my nervousness go away. When we got to the door, Paul knocked. We both looked at each other and smiled. The door opened. Paul and I smiled at the taller man that was wearing glasses who answered the door and the man smiled back. We stepped through the doorway and into the room. The man shut the door behind us and we turned to each other. One thing that I noticed upon walking in, was that the suite looked almost exactly like Paul's, but a mirror-image and the room was filled with smoke. Then, the man and I were facing each other while Paul was standing in the middle but more towards me.

     "Clara, this Mal Evans who is our road manager. And Mal, this is Clara. She is the girl that I meant down at the restaurant yesterday evening." Paul started as Mal and I both gave a smile to each other and shook each other's hands.

     "Nice to meet you.. umm.. Mal, isn't?" I embarrassingly said. I could tell my face was getting red.

     "Yes it is." He responded smiling, trying to make me feel better about the little embarrassing moment that I just had. "And it's very well to meet you Miss Clara. I'll let Paul take you around the room to meet the others."

     As Paul and I left Mal to talk to the others, Paul smiled at me and talked low enough so only I could just hear him. He asked, "See. That wasn't that bad, Clara. Wasn't it?"

     I nodded and smiled as if to say; Yeah, Paul. You were right.

     "Now I'm going to take you to meet Brian Epstein. Is that alright with you?" He asked me.

     "Yes." I answered enthusiastically knowing that I'm getting one person closer to meeting the rest of The Beatles by the minute.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *

     In about ten minutes, I've met all the people in the room besides two people. Those people included Mal, their road manager; Brian Epstein, their manager; Derek Taylor, their press officer; Neil Aspinall, their road manager and personal assistant; and several others.

     The only people that were left were the other two Beatles besides George. As we were walking towards the other Beatles, Paul said something to me as I was smiling my head off because I was meeting so many new people and I was about to meet most of the group.