five - witchlights

Evette landed heavily - then slid backwards on the hard ground.
She looked up - she was sitting in an awkward position in a desolate forest with harsh winds biting at her cheeks.
Empty.
No Tessa, no Alec, no Jace.
She needed to find them - she didn't go well with being alone.
She stepped forward and the trees melted away into the horizon revealing a dark ri and a glass palace with colorless turrets and more trees.

A gnarled canoe bobbed ahead in the lake ahead of her and she jumped inside.
Mysteriously, it surged ahead by itself with Evette gripping the worn sides apprehensively.
She had heard of this place before - Tessa had told her it was a timeless warlock only zone that she had retreated to when her mortal husband - Will - had died.
She closed her eyes when she reached the walls but the miniature boat seemed to pass smoothly through it.

Evette opened her eyes warily but reassured herself it was just a vision.

She was thrown sideways out of the boat and landed sputtering on the shattered glass floor.
She winced as blood seeped through her satin ballet pumps but stood up anyway - she had learnt from Tessa that bearing pain was a prospect of Downworlders lives.

She glanced upwards and gasped in wonder.

All around her sat small hunched over figures - birds fluttering their wings menacingly, there soulless crimson eyes flaring.

She backed away but she was surrounded - being enclosed by this circle.

A circle.

Something clicked in Evette's mind.