Chapter 1: Back Home

It was the beginning of the fall semester. As I drove through the countryside seeing the buildings and quaint little houses pass me by with a blue sky and autumn leaves painting the way like an art exhibit. I thought about the last time I took this road. I was sure I was never coming back. I scoffed to myself and shook my head. 

 I wonder if everyone I went to school with is still there, as teachers or something of the like. The thought popped into my mind, while I could see the road coming to an end, bumps in the path shaking me from the stringed musings I'd found myself in. I knew I was close to home. Home... Was home a place that I wanted to be? I never thought I'd return to Xavier's school for anything more than a visit. Time has a way of proving me wrong. The last I heard, the school had expanded to start letting in more students, they added onto everything from dorms to study halls. But the newest edition was a two-story library. They needed it, and they needed someone to run it.  I started pulling up to the institute's gate. The gate itself had the School emblem on it and it, of course, read "Charles Xavier's School for the Gifted." With an "X", in the background of the plaque. Real subtle there professor. I chortled to myself. The gate creaked open and I pressed on the gas a tad. As I drove on, I heard the gravel crackling and popping underneath my tires. Then I heard kids, teenagers and teachers alike, running around on the school grounds playing baseball, or mutant ball as we liked to call it back in the day. There were other kids racing each other, and others sitting under trees getting an early start on studying.

Pulling up to the institute, the entrance was as intimidating as ever. Everything was the same and yet it felt different, the atmosphere had changed. As I took my keys out from the ignition of my truck. As I stepped out I felt the cool fall breeze, it chilled me to the bone. I wasn't used to the New York weather since this I'd spent so much time in the south, but it was better than burning in the heat of August like I would be if I were still there at this moment. As I started walking to the double doors of the institute's main hall I stopped, I heard a familiar voice. "Hey, Maddie!" It was Kurt or the one we all called Nightcrawler. Running up, or should I say teleporting to me, finding himself right in front of me he stood there with a smile that was brighter than any sunny day at the beach, his white teeth seeming even brighter against his dark blue fur. 

"I didn't know you were coming back!" He said with his  German accent, smiling even more widely as his yellow eyes studied me. "Yeah the professor asked me to take over the library, so I'll be here from now on." Replying back while I grinned. "I'm glad to hear it, it's been pretty boring without you and Kk here." He frowned pretty visibly as he rubbed the back of his neck. "But I don't beat up supervillains for a living." I winked trying to cheer him up as the sound of kids calling him back resounded from the front lawn. "True!" Kurt said smiling again turning his head waving to the kids letting them know he heard them loud and clear. "Anyway, I have to get back to the game. I'll catch you at dinner maybe." He said practically beaming as he bamf'd away in a puff of blue smoke and the stench of sulfur hanging around the area after he left. I shook my head holding a grin of my own as I scuffed at the ground with my boot, the thoughts of leaving again were too much for me, although I didn't know why I was thinking of coming back if I was honest.

 Shoving those thoughts away for the moment, I walked into the institute's main entrance hall. Students were sitting, talking, walking, and playing throughout the building with shouts of delight, fake terror and genuinely having a great time for perhaps the first time ever in their young lives. I closed my eyes as I breathed in the familiar atmosphere, the scents of old wood, cleaning supplies, and probably an air freshener permeated everything. I smirked with my vision returning and the wonderful chaos that was children still playing and heading down the hall towards the kitchen.  "Hello, Madelynn." I heard another familiar voice greet me, it was a bit deeper and warmer than Kurt's voice had been. "Hank!" I quickly turned, to let him see the joy on my face at simply hearing his voice after so long. Giving the other blue furry mutant of the Xavier institute a big hug, I pulled away stepping back a bit for some personal space of my own. He and my sister had started to date back in high school. After I and my sister went back home, He and Kk kept a strong relationship over the last two years seeing each other whenever they could.