Chapter 3: Danger

My first day back had been chaotic, and the forest green door of my dorm had never looked so inviting as it did now. I took a breath as I walked in to see the mess of boxes and a trash bag of clothes in the corner with the remaining daylight shining through the window.

"I need to finish moving in." I sighed as I looked down at the mattress. I set everything from home up in my room. After a good while, it was again, late into the night. I stood back proud of myself looking at the job I'd completed. After taking a moment I saw that I had missed a call from my sister. I immediately called her back. The phone rang for a few seconds before she picked up and of course, I heard her voice. "Hey, what's up?" She said answering the phone. "Not much, I just got finished setting up my room, I'll send you pictures later." I smiled looking at my little living space. I caught myself staying quiet for a bit too long and spoke again. "So, was there something you wanted to talk about?" I asked trying to keep the conversation going. "How did your first day of work go?" She asked in almost in an antagonistic way like she was waiting to laugh. "It was, rough. These kids are more energetic and troublesome then I remember us being, to say the least..." Kk giggled and asked how everyone was, and what the institute was like after adding on more to the school, trivial things really. Then I remembered. "Hey did I tell you? We have a new teacher here." I said sitting on the bed messing with my shoes which had still been on my feet before I laid down on the bed. "Oh really!" She said perking up in her tone. "Yeah, his names Logan, he's pretty closed off, but what's weird is the first night I was here, he helped me move in." I rolled into the middle of my bed. "Weird. Anyway, One last thing before I hop off, did you ask the professor about me coming back up to the school to teach?" I smirked. "Yeah I did, he said whenever you're ready to move, he'll be waiting." She seemed happier with that answer. "Awesome!!! I'll need to start packing in the morning then." I nodded to her response. I'll let you go then." My voice had taken on tiredness and she could hear it. "Good night!"

It wasn't long until I was wrapped up in my covers and in pajamas, but I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned, made myself tea, and even read a book, but to no avail. I couldn't fall asleep. I rolled over again, seeing my old training gear. I stared for a few moments before I got up and put it on.

As I walked to the elevator, memories started coming back from the old days. I trained so hard to be an X-Man back then, that's all I wanted to do, help, save people who couldn't save themselves, protect the world from impending doom, the whole superhero shabang. The elevator came to the bottom floor with almost a thud. Stepping out I saw the stark contrast that was the basement from the rest of the school, it was as intimidating as ever. This part of the school housed a number of things specifically stuff for the team. Hanks lab was down here as well as medbay, we stored our uniforms and the blackbird down here as well. Of course, there was the "Danger Room." I walked toward the door, a red light was lit showing that the danger room was already in use. "Alright then." I sighed putting my hands on my hips for a moment before I went up to the observation deck. I found Cyclops and Jean observing someone who was using the facility already. "Every time I see him, It's like he's not human." I heard Scott say under his breath. "He's still an animal alright," Jean said in response. I came in behind them to see who they were watching. I stood next to Scott and Jean they gave a polite nod, I then leaned in to the window and watched this "person" with them. This guy was amazing. He had the danger room level at its highest, he jumped from platform to platform dodging saws, lasers, and pretty much everything the danger had to throw at him. I looked closely at the man's uniform, I instantly recognized it, it was The Wolverine or Logan as I knew him. I had never had the opportunity to see him fight before, but I can say it was definitely something to behold. He tore up the simulation and was done.

I looked down at him, watching as his shoulders heaved with each breath for a few moments then he steadied. I looked directly at him, studying him in a way. I suppose he could feel my heavy gaze because he looked up and stared me right in the eyes. I was taken aback by his forward reaction. He wasn't afraid, and it seemed like he was studying me as well. It was calculated and cold, though there was something else there I couldn't quite see behind the mask. I walked down from the observation deck, getting ready for my session. I was outside the danger room door, adjusting my gloves and my heart raced to wait for it to open. The danger room door flew open and there he stood, his strong sturdy body just standing there right in front of me. It was like a scene in a movie. He took his hand and lifted his cowl, to reveal his face. A heavy scowl on his features, like he had taken care of some long-awaited business, though he slightly softened as he nodded to me as made to he pass by. He had a water bottle in his other hand and a towel on his shoulder. "Red." Is all he said as he passed by me drinking his water with a nod. "Hey, Wolvie," I called back to him and his head turned to see me walking into the Danger room with a wink and smile.