Chapter 6: A seceret crisis

A blonde in a white pantsuit sat on screen across from a brunette with a blinding red pantsuit it's almost like they were looking in a mirror of opposites. The glass table between them gleaming in the studio lighting, the framing was dynamic and focused on the two who were discussing mutant issues and the newly added seat to the white house cabinet of mutant affairs. The reporter in the red suit leaned in asking the blonde another question, her body language telling everyone she was faking a smile and genuineness for the interview. "Miss Frost, as a nominee by the president, what do you think this new seat and position will accomplish?" The blonde who was named Emma frost curtly smiled, never showing her teeth lest she was actually having fun or enjoying this interview. "I this new seat will offer mutants in a new light among society. Not all of us are Magneto or Apocolyse after all." They both gave their fakest laugh. "Do you think the world is ready for such a shift so quickly after the defeat of Magneto just two years ago?" Emma nodded at the question before answering and sat back momentarily to adjust her coat. "I think the faster and more timely we can make this adjustment the better. The world need not be afraid of mutants any longer but instead, we should work aside from one another." She said all this as if it was from a script off-screen, maybe it was. "And the last question before we end off tonight's segment miss frost. Do you think the president made a correct choice in his lead for the project?" Emma tilted her head slightly at the question. "I may not have much experience in the realm of politics, but I assure you I take this nomination seriously. I intend to put my best foot forward on managing and talking about the issues of mutant affairs and swiftly if voted into the cabinet."

_

Sighing as I watched the interview I felt a pang of anxiety hit me. The students had all sat down in the living room to keep tabs on the new official who was meant to represent us. I heard a few students whispering and talking amongst themselves. "Do you think she's telling the truth?" I looked behind me to find a student who was a bit younger than all the teenagers in the house. "I'm not sure," I replied, putting my hand on his shoulder for reassurance and patting him on the back to go sit down and to watch the rest of the news with everyone else. The very next thing to fash across the screen was the trial of Erik Lensser, Magneto. The trial of whether he would be imprisoned or executed for his crimes against humanity and mutants alike with his revolution just a few years ago. It would be broadcast in a few days from what the update said. I sighed again as I held my necklace, fiddling with it as I thought and watched the kids. X-Men if you would please, meet me in the war room as soon as you can. Professor X's voice echoed through my head.

Down in the basement of the school, I walked. The hall glowing a faint grey and darkish blue. I could hear everyone talking about the interview when the door to the war room opened with a whoosh of air. Everyone momentarily looked to me out of habit and I took my place at a free spot around the table. I listened as everyone talked about Emma first and why she shouldn't even be a candidate for the position and the like. Once the professor entered the room everyone was silent. "We will be attending the trial of Erik." The room was quiet until the door opened again and wolverine walked in, late as always to staff meetings. "Logan, how nice of you to join us." Scott crossed his arms as Logan put his hands in his pockets. "Scott now isn't the time." The professor warned as Jean took her husband's hand and tried to calm him. Logan took the spot across the table and the professor continued. "You will all be attending outside of Kurt, Kitty, and a few others who will stay here and watch the children." Everyone was quiet, a somber air, and almost fearful spirit was over the entire room. I hadn't been at the battle for new york, I had only seen the news. The destruction was utterly horrifying. The lives lost were nearing the thousands,  and the amount of clean up rivaled nine eleven. "Are we there to condemn him?" I asked for the first time at that meeting. "No." The professor laced his fingers and was in deep thought for a moment. "We are going to be there because I believe Erik has something planned. I also think miss frost has something to do with it."

_

With a book in one hand and a cup of tea on the nightstand, I couldn't seem to tear myself away from my thought about the interview. It's like everyone was trying to trick you while your eyes are wide open. Shaking my head I looked to the door hearing footsteps. "Scott, do you think the professor knows something? And he's not telling us?" The voice of jean asked. "If he does, it wouldn't be the first time." The voices faded down the hall with the light slam of the door. I sat back and closed my book and then glanced at my suitcase, it yawning open with packed contents like shirts, toiletries, and my suit. A shallow breath escaping me as I reached for the light.

It was later in the night when I woke up, a low voice growling at my door.  "You got a lot of nerve boy scout!" My heart pounded at the raised voices. "A lot of nerve questioning the professor? I'm tired of being his pawn." My eyes flicked around the darkroom, drawing my covers to my still rattled form, my sight settling on the light that flooded through the crack at the base of the door. "Scott you damn well know he knows what he's doing. Stop being a moron, and maybe Jean will finally screw you again." I could feel the tension building. I threw the covers off me and rushed to the door as I could feel Scott trying to come up with another comeback that would start the fists flying. The door flew open and all I saw were stares that said we're caught. "Thats enough." With my arms firmly crossed against my chest I looked to both of them. "Some people are trying to sleep and are nervous as hell about tomorrow. So instead of you two fighting, you should be sleeping. We don't know what will happen tomorrow. I don't want to be the nagging mother but I'm tired of waking up at ungodly hours because of you two." I sneered at Scott. "It's because of this crap that I left the school, Scott. Grow a pair." I looked to Logan and gave him the same expression. "And you." I squinted. "Stop being such a douche. We already have enough problems to deal with without you causing more." Scott had cooled off but I know I invited the wrath that came from the more muscular of the two. "Look here missy," He began. "I don't know who you think you are, but I've been around much longer and I know how these things play out. You stay out of this and you stay out of my way, you got it?" I adjusted my stance, becoming more offensive. "Make me." He stared at me for a good few moments then looked to Scott then back to me, then I could see his glare soften like he saw something he'd seen before. "Good night, both of you," I said turning and shutting my door, and a moment later, I heard the mutterings of two deflated egos and heavy footsteps followed by the slams of other doors.