Chapter 5: A Broken Man

I had been kept in medbay for two days before I was allowed to even get up on my own. "You're powers are growing Madelynn, I'm surprised you healed most of the wounds on your own." The professor said as he looked over the X-rays that had been taken a few days prior. "It hurt like hell, but I'm glad I'm alive." Turning his chair around Charles folded his hands in his lap as he looked at me sympathetically. "We're glad also." He was silent for a moment. "Logan didn't mean to do what he did." I nodded as I swallowed. "I know." The last few days I had a hard time breathing because Logan had punctured both of my lungs and broke three of my ribs on both sides, I healed most of the devastating wounds on my own like the professor said, but I was still sore and aching, a reminder that I could be dead. "I'll leave you to get some more rest." He went to leave the room, but before he did, I stopped him. "Professor?" His head turned towards me. "Yes?" I looked at my hands as I rung them, nervous and not sure exactly what to say. "When Logan comes back, please tell him to visit me, I need to talk to him." He smiled. "I'll tell him. Oh, your sister Catherine is arriving today, she should be here shortly." My eyes lit up, at least I had something to look forward to.

I had kept myself entertained the last few days with a book, as I was reading I heard familiar foot steps enter medbay. There at the entrance of the door, stood Logan. He looked like he saw some action in the few days he was away, his clothes were torn up and he had blood stains in a few places. he looked at me with his usual scowl. An unlit cigar was in his hands as he avoided making eye contact with me. "So, Charlie said you wanted to see me?" I nodded. He slowly came forward, he kept his composer, though I could tell I had scared him as much as he had scared me. He stood to the side of my bed, he made sure he had his hands in the pockets of his jacket. "So, you're not afraid of me?" He asked. I took a breath as I stared at him for a moment, our eyes locking as I saw the sorrow and lement. "No, I'm not. I know what happened was an accident." He looked at me with a straight face. I got up as best as I could, the wraps were still around my rib cage area. I reached for one of his hands that were still in his pocket. He flinched and pulled away. "Look darlin'." He stopped me, obvious pain in his spirit towards what he'd done. "I nearly gutted you, and there ain't nothin' you think or say that can change that." He took a step forward. "Do yer'self a favor and stay away from me. I don't want anymore blood on my hands if I can help it." He said as he got close to my face to make a point. He turned, and walked out of the room at a faster pace then when he came in.

He'd passed my sister, who was coming to visit me. "What was that all about?" I stood there for a moment, then sat down at the edge of the bed. "Nothing." I and my sister talked for hours until Hank came down to say hello to her, to which she responded to with a big kiss. I smiled at those two as I had always wanted a relationship like theirs. Hank later came and told me I was allowed to take off my bandages and go to my dorm room and rest there instead, which I was grateful for.

It was a one heck of a storm that blew through that night. I tossed and turned as I watched the lightning flicker against the curtains. The rain beating against the glass made my mind wander back to the day Logan had stabbed me. Cold, metallic pain and at the same time a numbness that made goosebumps rise on my skin. I sat up in bed and wrapped my arms around my legs and sighed. I tossed the sheets to the side and put on a sweater and went on down to the kitchen. The halls flashed to life as I walked, the lightning hitting the paintings that hung in the ancestrial home of Charles Xavaier. As I rounded to enter the kitchen I heard glass bottles rattle. As I peaked in I saw Logan, he was pouring himself a drink in a large whisky tumblr. As he went to take a swig I said in a small voice. "This is a school, no alcohol on the premises." He stopped and looked over at me, my arms crossed but not angry at seeing him drink. His hardened face softened slightly. "I keep my whisky to myself." He told me as he took a drink. He didn't say anything else as I walked in and went to make myself some tea. He sat down at the breakfast nook and groaned not saying anything else as he watched me. I could feel his eyes studying me, trying to figure me out. After my water was warm, and I poured myself the tea, I gripped the cup handle and looked at him as I stood in front of the nook table. "Is it okay if I sit here with you?" He glanced up at me, and moved to the side as I sat with him in the booth. After a moment of silence I looked at him. "I forgive you." He looked at me while putting his drink down. "What?" His brows furrowing as you could hear the alcohol taking a toll on his voice. I looked him in the eyes like I had earlier and said it again. "I forgive you. I forgive you for what you did and how you keep yourself away from people. I get it." He was quiet and took another drink. "So why'er you saying this to me?" I cupped my hands around my tea and blew on it for a moment. "Becouse I can see what you did is eating you up inside." He didn't say anything. "So what, you think your gonna read my mind, know who I am from a glance, think you can understand half the crap I've done to people." I looked at him innocently. "Am I?" He took a long drink and sighed as he played with the glass. "What is your goal here red? You think that since I helped you move in that we're best friends now?" I kept my eyes on him as he tried pushing me away. "No, I just see a man who needs help and he's broken." He gave a sarcastic laugh. "And what, you think you're going to fix me Darlin'?" I stood up and walked to the door way. "No, I just think you need to see that you're not as bad as everyone thinks you are. Even when you make mistakes you're right there trying to fix them. An evil man doesn't do that Logan."

I left and I could hear his footsteps as he went back to the counter pouring himself another drink and sighing. "She's a damn fool."