Chapter 4: Friendly fire

I felt uncomfortable and inferior around him. Any time I had to fill in for a teacher or saw him in the library I felt a fear that had nothing to do with the fact that he could kill me if he wanted too. Observing him got me nowhere as he was a very conservative character. He was always quiet and calculating and kept to himself. I would often find him in the courtyard of the school reading a book or concentrated on something that had captured his mind in some way. I hardly talked to him after that night that he had helped me move in. I considered how odd it was as this was his normal state of being from everyone around him. What I didn't understand was why I kept thinking about him, there was no reason to. I had an odd fascination with a man I hardly knew and that is what drove me mad. I wanted to know more without ever saying a word to him. That went about as well as you would think. This went well into the school year until I was asked to cover a Danger room session for the students.

I watched as the kids from middle school all the way into their senior year of high school stand in their uniforms of navy blue and wasp yellow a huge 'X' across the front of each and Scott explained the exercise to them. The simple task of getting from one side of the room to the other without leaving a team member behind. "Oh, that's easy!" A boy about the age of sixteen said to his team as he had his arms crossed. I slightly laughed, oh how I remember those days. I had seen Logan reach for his cowl and adjust it over his face, the mask hiding his blue eyes from the world making him look frightening and imposing to those around him. I watched him out of the corner of my eyes, seeing him adjust his gloves then unsheath his claws then again sheath them in a swift motion.  "Listen and follow your team captains, they will be your lifeline. Seek out your teammate's weakness and fill it in with your strength. They'll need it." Scott said as he waved Nightcralwer down and gave him the thumbs up. As soon as Kurt started the simulation, the room started to shift and our surroundings started to take shape. Buildings on fire and the skyline ashy and smoke stung at my eyes. The danger room did a fantastic job of seeming like you were really in trouble and in the situation. A few seconds I saw the simulation be set in motion. Blocks of concrete and windows falling from the buildings were the least of our worries as we watched a city crumble to the ground. "GET A MOVE ON!" I heard Logan yell to his team over the sirens and screaming holograms of the room. I brought up the rear of my team, setting the oldest boy as the leader. I watched as Logan would clear the way and keep a close eye on his students.

It wasn't long until we started encountering obstacles. A hand from the rubble moved the heavy chunk of a building that we saw was a robot, though it was the size of the world building itself. It went to grab one of my students and I went to push them out of the way and I got grabbed on his behalf. Reaching for a knife I'd received years ago from the professor from his father's personal collection. I jammed the knife into its main circuits, or at least I thought I did.

I hadn't seen that Logan was on his way to the rescue. I heard a feral growl and the next thing I knew I felt a sharp pain go through my back. I hitched in my breath. I heard silence from all around me. The grip of the robot loosened and the simulation came to an end. I fell backward into someone's arms, which was Logans. I watched as he ripped his cowl back and a face of fear shred across his face he realized what he'd done. I mustered what strength I had back and my hand began to glow gold as the students gathered around to see what happened. My white uniform was soaking through with blood, dark blood. Logan shook me as he saw my eyes starting to close while I touched my hand to the wounds and they started to close up. The last thing I heard was Scott and everyone yelling at Logan for doing what he did.

"It was an accident."  His so sure voice becoming soft and apologetic and almost like a scared child. The darkness swallowed me whole as I felt myself go limp and into a deep sleep.