Percy's Cyclops Brother Joins the Party

Well, here's how Campfire went last night. After Jason blubbered about letting me go on my first quest alone (Leo piped in here, saying that "She will not be alone," winking at me.) was a totally bad idea. Chiron thought about it, but just before he made his decision, Annabeth came running down towards the stage of the amphitheater, screaming, "Well, if Jason can go with Laura, then I get to go with Percy!" Percy seemed thrilled with the idea, but Jason was on a whole different level of crying and sobbing by now. It was so embarrassing. 

Chiron started explaining that this would not do, since most of their "informative" quests were always done by a group of three, not six. Jason started shouting at Chiron, who in turn drew out his sword. Jason pulled out his coin/sword thing, and Percy clicked his pen/sword thing. Annabeth drew her knife, and stopped the duel before it had even started. Piper ran up to Jason and whispered something in his ear. Jason nodded, and said, "Piper wants to come with us." He looked pained saying this, but Piper wasn't budging. Chiron considered this, and asked if Annabeth could stay here also, but she just clung more determinedly to Percy. He looked down, embarrassed. 

"So," Chiron said, at last. "I guess we now have a quest of six brave campers: a powerful master of the wind, Jason Grace. One with superior intellect and attitude, Annabeth Chase," Annabeth laughed with glee, "and Piper McLean, sorceress of words."  Piper blushed. Leo grabbed my hand, and lifted our arms into the air. Everyone cheered and whistled. 

So, the following morning, I stuffed my bag with all my essentials: clothes, shoes, food, and a canteen for water. I also walked over to the infirmary and grabbed some ambrosia. Never know when you're going to need it. 

I walked over to the edge of the strawberry fields. Several satyrs were already playing their lutes with the morning sun, praising Apollo for it. I laughed softly. The strawberries smelled great in the morning, and I wanted to sniff them before I had to leave the only home I really had. I picked one and sniffed it. It smelled like the fresh strawberries at the Harvest Fest that my mom and I always went to. I ate it, and some satyrs came over, asking me if it was good. I nodded. It was great! 

Then, I walked over to the mess hall, ready for some breakfast. When I got there, everyone was starting to sit down. I ran over to the staff table, where Jason and Percy-as usual-were sitting. They nudged me, and I smiled weakly. I was a little nervous about this quest, but it would be worth it. I would get to spend my time with my best friends. No, it would not be worth it. It would be awesome. 

My plate filled up with toast and jelly. I picked up a slice, and took a bite. Chiron smiled at me, and stood up. 

"My campers, it has been a great time with Laura Howard, has it not?" The campers exploded with cheers. "I knew it. Laura has been a joy and pleasure to us. 

"Now, I would like to make an announcement. There are a few campers from Camp Jupiter that would like to join this quest. I present to you, Hazel Levesque and Frank Zhang!" Hazel and Frank came out onto the stage of the mess hall. Percy jumped out of his chair, and came over to hug Hazel, and high five Frank. I came over, and shook their hands, noticing how happy they looked. I wondered if they had gone a quest before. 

When breakfast was over, our group assembled near the pine tree with the Golden Fleece in its branches. Jason hugged Piper, and she cried into his shoulder. Annabeth helped Percy adjust his pack, with him rolling his eyes. Hazel and Frank chatted with me about their previous quests-answering my question-and explaining how they knew Percy. Apparently, they had saved the world with Percy and the rest of our crew-Annabeth, Leo, and Jason-from the evil goddess Gaea, the goddess of the earth. 

Finally it was time to leave. Chiron gathered the majority of the camp to say farewell. I waved at the other campers, who were winking and shouting encouragement. I gulped down my fear, which melted as soon as Leo took my hand, waving to the crowd. Piper was giving final hugs to her fellow campers, then joined Jason at his side. Percy and Annabeth waved, and shouted, "Camp Half-Blood!" with some winces from Hazel and Frank. 

And then, we stepped through the boundaries, beginning the quest I will never forget. 

------------------------ 

We walked through the forest that surrounded the camp, talking and laughing and joking about finding the person responsible for bringing in the necklace. Annabeth was the first one to come to her senses. 

"Guys, we're going to need a plan." Percy laughed. "Of course! You always need a plan, Annabeth." Annabeth blushed, so apparently she always needed a plan. I took a mental note. 

Jason came up with the first idea. "We should start with asking Hermes. He's linked with all the messages of the gods." Everyone liked that idea, except Frank. "How are we going to find him?" 

"Easy," Percy said. "He's in his big company building. Remember, Annabeth?" Annabeth nodded, bringing out what looked like a spray can. Annabeth explained that this was a can full of wind from the four corners of the world; it was given to them by Hermes himself. So, we mapped out our journey to Hermes' company building. It was on the other side of New York, in a place called Jamestown. His company was disguised as a UPS building. We began to walk in the general direction of the road. Our plan was that once we reached the highway, Percy and Annabeth would ride Blackjack, while Hazel and Frank rode her horse Arion. Jason would ride his tamed ventus named Tempest. I would be riding with Leo on his bronze dragon, Festus, that he had rebuilt himself. We would make our way to Jamestown, stopping at night to rest the horses and ourselves. 

While we were walking, I heard some rustling in the trees. I stopped. Jason stopped too, and the air smelled of burned rubber. Percy stopped, and turned around to see us both frozen and ready for action. He burst out laughing. Annabeth glared at him. "You two look exactly the same at that angle!" Jason smirked, and looked into the trees of the forest. More rustling, and low growl. My hair frizzed up, and Jason's arm hair rose up. Percy tried to hold it in, and Annabeth kept kicking him in the leg. 

Then, a big hunk of shadow launched at us, and I raised my arms. Thunder rumbled, and lightning struck the creature. It absorbed the shock, and landed on Percy. Jason ran over to him, crying out. I ran over too, and was surprised to see a big grin on Percy's face. Annabeth laughed. Hazel and Frank grinned, while Jason and Leo and me had a nervous breakdown. Leo was grabbing a power drill out of his tool belt, then got knocked off his feet. I screamed, and a big guy with crazy blonde hair pounded Leo, shouting, "Bad drill! Don't hurt O'Leary!" Jason pulled off the boy, and flipped his magic coin, revealing his 8-foot javelin. The boy screamed, and assumed the fetal position. Leo got his hammer ready, and said, "I don't know who O'Leary is, but I'm going to kick your butt!" 

Percy managed to get the dark shape-which was a hellhound-off him, and made Jason back off. "Woah, dude! It's okay! He's my brother!" Jason looked at the boy, and smiled. "He looks nothing like you. Not mentioning that he's a cyclops." 

"Exactly." Percy helped the boy up, and I saw that he did have one eye, smack dab in the middle of his large forhead. Percy introduced his "brother". 

"Everyone, this is Tyson. He's technically my half-brother, since Poseidon made these creatures." Tyson grinned, and said, "Daddy made me! I'm special!" 

"You certainly are, big guy," Percy said, patting Tyson on the chest. "Now, I'm assuming you came to us for a reason." 

"Yeah," Tyson said. "Mrs. O'Leary and me came to say hi, and that we're going to help you on your quest!" Jason gawked at Tyson, while Annabeth said, "That would be great. You remember where Hermes' company is?" 

"Yes!" Tyson got onto Mrs. O'Leary, and bounded off to the edge of the woods. "I'll take you to Jamestown!" Annabeth shouldered her pack and ran after him. Percy, Hazel, and Frank followed suit. Jason stood there for a moment, then sighed and followed. Soon, it was just me and Leo. 

Leo scratched his head, and said, "So, Percy has a cyclops for a half-brother. New to you too, huh?" 

I nodded, and ran after our friends.