I Go Nude (And Other Facts of the Day)

I wasn't really sure what happened after the kiss, but when I woke up, I was curled up next to Leo on the picnic blanket, the pendant wrapped tightly in my hand, Leo's hand in my other. I looked around, and watched the sun come up. The birds started chirping, and I got up slowly, so I wouldn't wake Leo up. I stretched, feeling stiff from my day-old clothes. I washed up face, then thinking that I was a filthy mess, took off my shirt. I was reaching for my pants, when a voice said, "Getting a little hasty there, blondie." 

I turned around, scrambling for my shirt again. Leo had caught me half naked. What a good start for the morning! 

My face burned. "Sorry about that." I put my arms through the shirt sleeves, but Leo caught my arm. 

"Don't mind me." I swore my heart skipped a dozen beats. I froze where I was, waiting for him to do something. The pendant pushed against my hand, but I didn't let go. Leo leaned forward, and my lips parted expectantly. Then he pushed my into the lake, laughing. "Got you!" 

My head broke the surface, and I smiled. He did get me, but I wouldn't go down so easily. With one quick swing, I splashed water towards him, then blew. The wind reacted, causing the whole of the water to go flying, drenching him. He gasped, then grinned maniacally at me. He ran and jumped, cannon-balling into the lake, making me go under again. When I recovered, Leo's arms were around me, lifting me into the air. 

"No fair, blondie! You used your powers! Let's go one-on-one." I struggled, but he wouldn't let go. Finally, I plunged my elbow into the chink in his neck, and he yelped. He let go, and I splashed into the water, swimming to the shore. I heard Leo coming behind me, and I quickly turned around and splashed him. He disappeared below the surface, and before I knew it, I was on his shoulders, swinging around and trying to keep my balance. Leo laughed, and plunged me headfirst into the lake. I felt the water shoot up my nose, and I grunted in pain. I reached for his legs, and pulled them toward the surface. Leo yelled with surprise, but it ended in a confused gurgle, as I held him upside down in the water. 

Suddenly, he stopped struggling, and I quickly pulled him back up. Panic suddenly shot through me. Had I killed him? Then his eyes popped open, and he squirted water in my face. I yelled defiantely, and pushed him away. He laughed, then held his hands up in surrender. 

"Alright, blondie, you win. Can I go home now?" He puppy-eyed me, and I laughed, shooting myself to the beach. Leo waded to land, panting from the exertion. I quickly dried myself off, and shot him with a hot South wind. His hair stood on end, and he looked like a premature Einstein. I laughed, and he looked up at his hair. Quickly smoothing it, he walked over to me, and pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back. It was nice not having to hide. 

Resting his chin on my head, he said, "I had a good time today." 

I nodded. "So did I." I looked up at him. "Now the trick is getting back to the group." 

Leo's smile vanished. He let go, and held his head. "Shoot, I forgot! We got to go!" He grabbed my hand, and we sprinted to Festus's side, where he stood hidden in shrubs and grass. He turned on, and we leapt onto his back. Leo launched us into the air, and we flew over the forest, feeling the wind on our face. 

Festus spotted the camp before we did. Apparently, they had decided to sleep in, to our relief. Festus landed silently, and we slid off to our sleeping pads, pretending to be sound asleep. When Percy sounded the wake-up call, we stretched and pretended to be tired. And when Leo got up to cook breakfast, no one questioned us in our clean state. It was so strange that I thought for a moment that it was all a dream. 

But then I opened my hand to see the pendant Leo gave me, and I knew it was all real.