The "First" Date

I couldn't believe my eyes. Was it really him? I pushed my way to the front, and there he was, sipping tea with his uninjured hand, lounging on the couch. He smiled at me with those white teeth that made his eyes sparkle.

I put my hands over my mouth like I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had spent two nights wishing that Jason could come back, and here he was! Tears poured down my face, and I couldn't control my sniffling.

Jason got up and walked over to me, looking into my eyes. Somehow, I could read what he said. I'm sorry. That was Jason all over. He always thought everything was his fault. That just made me cry harder. Jason kneeled down and wrapped me into his arms. I felt him wince because of his injured arm, but he held fast. I gripped him, making pathetic crying noises. I could practically feel everybody's eyes on us.

I wiped my eyes, and backed away. Jason got up and slapped Leo's shoulders.

"I hope you took care of my sister," was all he said.

Leo smiled. "Well, I might have got her killed by a hungry Siren, and let her fall to her death a couple times, but overall I did keep her safe."

Jason laughed. Percy came over and gave Jason a man-hug, patting each other so hard I was afraid they'd kill each other. Then he turned. Piper was waiting for him at the edge of the group. Waiting for her embrace. Jason's eyes gleamed with tears. Piper stood there, looking steely-eyed.

Jason ran to her, lifting her up and spinning her around. Piper sank her face into Jason's shoulder, probably soaking it with happy tears. Jason put her down, and their first kiss in two days happened before us. I couldn't help it; I looked beside me at Leo, who put an arm around me. I grabbed his hand next to my head. This is how I wanted it between us: close.

Jason finally backed up, taking in our group posture. We really had grown on each other in the past week. It felt like only yesterday that we had been complete strangers. But now, we were family.

Persephone walked back into the living room, carrying a plate of steaming cookies and glasses of milk. We settled down on the plush cushions, our feet sighing with relief. Everyone grabbed a cookie while Persephone explained what had happened.

"Well, I think you can all agree my force field was the thing that your horses and dragon ran into. Somehow the force field counteracted Jason's abilities, which knocked him unconscious. It was a miracle that you saved him." She looked at Frank. He blushed and stuffed a cookie in his face.

"When I saw what had happened, I begged Hades to have pity on him, and he agreed to have Zeus take his soul to Olympus until I could treat him. As you can see, I got him back to normal in no time!" Piper squeezed Jason's shoulders.

"Thank you again, Lady Persephone," I said. "Without you, I wouldn't have a brother, and Piper wouldn't have her boyfriend." Jason winced at the word, but Piper smooched him on the cheek.

"Well then," Persephone said, getting up. "I guess you'll be on your way. But I ask that you take Nico with you."

Nico looked shocked, then started to whine. "But, Aunt, you know I already went with this group on the quest for the Prophecy of Seven. There's no way I'll-"

"I wasn't asking, Nephew," Persephone said with a smile. "I feel you'll be of some need to them in the near future."

Jason got up with a small groan. "As you wish, Persephone," but he looked at Nico with a worried look on his face. Nico nodded, like he was saying I'll handle it.

Persephone shooed us out of her garden, eager for us to continue our journey. Nico hesitated at the edge of the force field, but Persephone shoved him over the boundary, and the force field closed around the garden once again, leaving the canyon in front of us.