I Meet the Laura Impersinator

My day was really turning out to be a really bad day. 

We set up camp next to the river that carved through the canyon. I pulled out my cooking supplies, and built a fire. I kept looking over at Laura, but she didn't pay attention to me. She helped out with the work, but she was slumped over, and her eyes were sunk in and red from crying. She looked...dead. 

Everyone gathered around the fire while I served out the food. They ate half-heartedly. I understood why. Jason was my best friend, and everyone else saw him as the leader. Now he was gone. 

I tried to crack a few jokes, including my famous "Why did the wrench cross the road?" but everyone just sat staring at the flames. Annabeth leaned into Percy, whimpering softly. Hazel sat by Piper, rubbing her shoulders, while Frank nervously turned into a weasel. I sat across from Percy, sitting next to Laura. I looked at her and tried a smile, but she just stared, the flames reflecting in her eyes. I wondered if there really were flames inside her, waiting to burst open. 

Finally, Percy put out the fire, and everyone went to bed with no words spoken all through dinner. I hated that. Sighing, I pulled out my sleeping mat and blanket, and curled up as best I could, lighting my finger to keep warm. I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. There was too much to think about. The thing that we ran into, Jason's death, Laura's silence; were there answers to any of those? 

Then, I decided something: No matter what the cost, no matter what the circumstance, I would protect Laura. From everything: Monsters, bad mortals, demigods, and even her own depression. I couldn't stand to see her like this. I knew that we weren't together, but I felt like we had something...something worth fighting for. 

Turning on my mental stealth mode, I rolled over to where Laura was sleeping. When I looked up, I gasped. She wasn't there! Where had she gone? In a flash, I was out of my blanket and running in every direction. Where was she? Did she go kill herself? Would I ever see her again? What about that promise I had just made? 

Then I heard a twig snap, and I whipped around. I saw a flash of white disappear into the shadows of the canyon. I tip-toed as quietly as I could with heavy boots, and peaked around the corner of a rock. I gasped in surprise. In front of me was a forest, decked out with trees and flowers and grass! I knew something wasn't right, but I knew Laura was in there, somehow. I walked into the forest, keeping an eye on my back, just in case some monsters wanted to play tag. 

I walked until I could barely see the moon. Then I stumbled over a root, and face-planted into moss-covered mud. I lifted my head and spit out a clod of dirt. I got up and dusted myself off, then realized where I was: I was standing in front of a shimmering lake, reflecting the moonlight. And walking on it was Laura! 

                                                                  _______________________ 

I rubbed my eyes, blinked twice, and she was still there, walking on the water like it was ground. But something was wrong. It didn't feel like her. She walked different, as if she were walking with an elegant gown on. Then I realized she was wearing a gown. Where had she gotten that? 

Then I became severely self-conscious about what I must have looked like. I tried to brush myself off, smooth my hair out, and tried to look ruggedly handsome. Laura smiled with pleased amusement. I smiled back. I didn't know what was going on, but she looked good! 

"Hello, Leo," she said. Her voice flowed over me like Piper's charmspeak. Instantly, I blushed, bringing out some nuts and bolts to calm my nerves. Laura waved her hand, and my trinkets flew out of my hands. Okay, that was weird. Usually she liked my handywork.