The Awakening: Part 1

Note: I included a picture of Shanee, since she is an important character in the story

Chapter Ten: The Awakening

The day at the hospital was in intense for Zorell, learning the procedures, tending to patients with and having to deal with the doctors. Not all of them were pleasant. One in particular acted as if the nurses were mindless slaves who were supposed to do what they were told and nothing more. Zorell was left to man the nurses' station around lunch time, while the other nurses were making rounds. While the other girls were busy she sat at the desk organizing the patient files.

Half way through her work, the phone rang. She picked it up and heard the telephone operator connecting the call. "Hello," she said and dived into her telephone speech. "Hardon Hospital, women's trauma ward, may I help you?"

"Zorell, is that you?" She heard a familiar male voice come through. "You sound so professional."

"Of course, it is, Lee," she said rolling her eyes. "Are you still at home?"

"No, I'm at the café', but I'm one my way there," he said and let out a breath. "How's my girl?"

"A bit better than she was, but she has a fever," she said in a low voice. "She's still asleep, but Doctor Moses says that she could awake at any time."

"I hope so," he said and that sadness returned to his voice. "I'll be there soon, so could you please look after her until I get there?"

"Leland, she's being taken care of very well, but I'll look in on her before I go to lunch," she said, before hanging up the phone.

After she ended her conversation with Leland, she continued with the work she had been doing before the call came in. She had a dozen new files to organize and in the afternoon, she was going to be doing the supply inventory. First, she would check in on Shanee, before getting a bite to eat in the cafeteria.

Another nurse approached, a girl with platinum blond hair and bright blue eyes. She had a little frame, and she guessed she didn't weigh more than a hundred pounds. Cora had told her that the young woman's name was Ava, and that she moonlighted as a dancer. Her true dream was to be an actress in the movies. It wasn't a farfetched dream, because she certainly was pretty enough. She openly flirted with Doctor Hayes. He was the youngest doctor Zorell had ever met and quite handsome.

Ava seemed to like him and by movements Zorell could tell that she was not shy. She couldn't decide whether or not the girl was a mere flapper or a full-fledged vamp. Either way, her behavior was shameless, and Zorell secretly wished that she had that kind of confidence. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but she was imagining what they could be talking about, and it made her giggle. She had only met the blond girl earlier that day, but she seemed like she would make an interesting friend. One thing was for sure, life would never be boring with her around.