Moving Day: Part 3

As the three women descended the stairs to the second floor, Zorell noticed the pictures on the wall

As the three women descended the stairs to the second floor, Zorell noticed the pictures on the wall. There was a family portrait with two young girls and a man and woman, the woman looking like a younger version of Miss Kastor. These must have been the children she spoke of.

There were more family pictures, and before Zorell's eyes the two little girls grew into beautiful young women. Her hand touched the railing, which was made of the same cherry oak that was apparent throughout the house. It was warm and inviting but a little haunting at the same time.

She followed Miss Kastor and Dara to the end of the hall, when the older woman stopped. She opened the door and Dara entered first. It was her room after all. Zorell entered and found that it was a really nice room with all the necessities. There was a soft comfy bed big enough for one person. She also saw a dresser with a large mirror and three drawers, which was more than enough room to store all of her clothes. She saw a vanity which was much like the one she had back home, except smaller and a small three tier bookshelf.

"This is a nice room," she said while she looked around. There was a nice round table with a lace table cloth perfect to do her craftwork, writing or just for having an impromptu snack. There was also a trunk sitting by the dresser. She thought for a moment and wondered if the furniture came with the room.

"So, what do you think?" Dara asked and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"I like it a lot," she said and glided her fingers over the table. She noticed the carpet to be a soft gray and walls were painted in a two-toned cream color marble finish.

"The rent is $20 a month," Miss Kastor said. "Due on the first of the month."

"How soon can I move in?" Zorell asked, looking over to Miss Kastor.

"I'm moving out at the end of the week," Dara said, and Zorell looked relieved.

"Great, I'll move in on Saturday," she said and looked to Miss Kastor again. "Would that be okay?"

"That would be just fine," she said with a smile. "The weekend is fairly quiet, many of the other girls have recreational plans or visiting family, so there will be little traffic."

"The furniture is included?" Zorell asked.

"Of course, it is, except for that trunk," Dara said, pointing to the item in question. Zorell was relieved to know that. She had enough money to get herself set up, but not if she had to furnish the place herself.

Zorell reached into her purse to fish out her first month's rent. She didn't want anyone else to take the room. "This will do fine," Miss Kastor said. "Now, come down to my office, and we'll sign the papers. I like a record of all my boarders."

Within a half hour she was official. She was so relieved that she now had her own place, and she wouldn't have to inconvenience Leland anymore. Once Shanee was released from the hospital, he would want his privacy.