Chapter 7

I twisted and turned and I couldn't stand the dream anymore.

The memory wouldn't stop.

I swore I was actually crying out loud.
It repeated over and over.

He continued to thrust in...

I sprang up in the sleeping bag, my heart thumping in chest. My mind was wild and scared.

I started chocking. My eyes burned and my chest tightened.
I coughed and coughed and could barely breathe.

My vision was blurry and then I stopped breathing.

I fell back down on the sleeping bag and gasped for air.

All I could breath was in smoke.

Smoke?... Smoke!!

I leaped out of the sleeping bag, barely breathing. I came out the tent, coughing up my life.

As I stepped out, I was greeted by wild orange, yellow and red.

The heat was intense as I stood near it.

I jumped back and gasped, my eyes slowly losing vision. My head went light and fell into black, for just a moment.

Cold freezing water splashed in my face and jumped up, now completely out of air. My eyes were wide open in fright as my chest tightened, begging for pure air. I gasped and held my throat.
I rolled on the ground grasping at the air for it to enter my lungs but the air was intoxicated, smoke.

I can't breathe!

More water splashed in my face and I wanted to kick the person doing it. It was making the situation worse.

No air was getting in. Only smoke and water.

I tried to sit up and could feel my lungs slowly give up.
I fell back down and beat the ground

I need air!

Cool air fanned in my face and I took it in gladly. It eased my lungs but not enough.
My legs got numb and soon I couldn't feel the rest of my body. My lungs burned and then gave up. I signed at the relief in my chest and I welcomed the drowning black.

∆∆∆

I slowly awoke to the bright sun. My body still felt numb as I tried to move it. I tried to lift my head but it felt heavy as led. I stared at the blue cloudless sky. It felt good to inhale pure air. That I would never take for granted again.

Then it hit me.

What happened flooded my mind like a tsunami. I sprang up and my jaw dropped when my eyes settled on the horror around me.

There was no sign of green anywhere. Just black and brown. Ashes piled up on the ground as the smell of ashes smoke and dried leaves hit my nose.

Plenty persons were on the ground bleeding to death most of their body burnt. There was wailing and crying and this was the perfect description of death. Many dead bodies laid next to me. Few people hurried trying to help the dying survive. Even some of the survivors were burnt badly.

I suddenly felt light and the sudden change made me feel nauseous.
I looked at my arms and realized I was badly injured myself.

What the hell happened?

I searched the faces if the dead people around me and saw so many familiar faces. Too many familiar faces. At the end of the line I saw a small body- a child.